1984 GT TIMBERLINE - DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Okay, some of you remember this bike from about 2 years ago.

I scored it off the CL one afternoon and after owning it for a bit, I decided to sell it off. Someone locally bought it from me and apparently after a few months decided to list it on Ebay. It was then purchased by someone else locally who kept it for another year.

I popped up on the CL again a couple of weeks ago and when I saw it I thought....hmmm, very tempting. I sort of regretted letting it go for what I did. The bike is packed with really sweet parts like a mint set of UKAI 26 x 1.75s, GT winged tires, Epoch headest, Suntour thumb shifters, DiaComp brake levers, SR stem & pedals, fluted seat post, etc. The frame is a Japanese built frame with Ishitwata tubing.

Well, the ad for the bike disappeared last week so I assumed that it had been sold. Sunday evening it showed up on the CL again and this time I decided that it was time to buy it back. Met up with the seller this morning and the bike is officially mine again. :mrgreen:

With a little accessory tweaking I think I can get it to have that old school 26" BMX look to it. Probably won't run the GT tires in fear of messing them up. Skull Skate cruiser bars are definitely in order as well as some newer gumwalls and a different seat. Don't worry purists....it can all be taken back to original. :wink:

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Re: 84 GT

Interesting note from Sheldon Brown's site on Ishiwata tubing...

From a rec.bicycles.tech posting by Andrew Muzi:

I am intimately familiar with Ishiwata and their products, having been in the factory a few times, spec'd many bikes with their steel and built with it. I still use Ishiwata tube for frame repair.
The material [022] is virtually identical to Columbus SP/SL/SLX. The top range of tubes were seamles double butted and the finish quality [as delivered to the builder] was much higher than Columbus. The tubing gauge of the 022 is 0.9/0.6 mm, exatcly the same as Columbus SP. It's called "022" because the frame tube set weighs 2.2 kilos. The same material drawn thinner to 0.8/0.5 mm is called "019" because it weighs 1.9 kilos, just like Columbus SL. Many builders, then and now, mix gauges so a small frame might be all 019 but a 56 would have 022 chainstays and downtube for example.

Trek in the late '70s built three racing frames, one with Ishiwata, one Reynolds 531 and one Columbus. Geometry and weight were identical. The prices were unreasonably different because of the cachet of Italian tubing, making the Ishiwata frame the best value. Marketing took over later as the Ishiwata was dropped completely. With the advent of aluminum, the currency crash and the Japanese depression, Ishiwata closed the doors in the early '90s.

Re: 84 GT

How the bike looked completely original when I bought it the first time...I still have the old grips and reflectors....

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Re: 1984 GT - THE BOOMERANG

WOW through two other owners and it'z still in that condition ! yer very lucky,,nice bike

What's funny is both owners after me never rode it because they were scared they would mess it up...ha ha! :lol:

Probably didn't lose anymore money than a 401k. :wink:

Awesome bike, but the dork disc on the back tire burns my eyes. :shock: Oh....it burns....

skoda said:
Awesome bike, but the dork disc on the back tire burns my eyes. :shock: Oh....it burns....

Hey...at least it says Suntour on it...ha ha. :lol:

It's a quality dork disc. :wink:

Rustinkerer said:
Well there goes that extra space in your garage! :lol: -Adam

Ha Ha...no kidding.

I should have known when I was bragging on my lack of bikes that this would happen. :lol:

My plans are to put some Skull Skate cruiser bars on it, throw on some rider gumwalls and maybe remove the front derailleur and shifter.

All of this can be put back the way it was easily in case I ever decide to sell it.

Otherwise it just hang in my garage and collect dust.

Trust me....you'll like the end results. :wink:

Realized that I never did actually have to detail this thing...I just washed it when I got it the first time.

Upon further inspection and a little steel wool action, it looks as though the chrome will be even brighter!

Just need to find me some street tread 26 x 2.125 gumwall tires now...that should be near impossible. :roll:

Skull Skates bars are on and the front derailleur and shifter have been removed.

DSC_0023-2.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Back