1980 SCHWINN SUPER LE TOUR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit, I hate to see you change out the drop bars on that thing, even though I'm not usually one for restorations.

Maybe you need a set of old school mustache bars. Check out the redline bike in the "Fathers Day Present" in this forum. I think they'd be way cool. The Super Light was a racer, and It's a shame to lose that heritage.

of course, that's just my $.02

either way, it's a heck of a cool bike.

ultraclyde said:
I admit, I hate to see you change out the drop bars on that thing, even though I'm not usually one for restorations.

Maybe you need a set of old school mustache bars. Check out the redline bike in the "Fathers Day Present" in this forum. I think they'd be way cool. The Super Light was a racer, and It's a shame to lose that heritage.

of course, that's just my $.02

either way, it's a heck of a cool bike.
I know someone who has a schwinn with the north road style bars, it looks nice, rides well, and is easily reversible.

new_dharma said:
lose the dork disk! :D

also, what happened to the drop bars?

Question about the "dork disk"....any chance of the chain jumping off the largest cog and wrecking the spokes? I'm guessing that is what the disk was designed to prevent.

Drop bars are hanging on the wall....and yes, can easily be reversed. :wink:

I'm not a roadie so you purists will have to look away, ha ha.

Rat Rod said:
new_dharma said:
lose the dork disk! :D

also, what happened to the drop bars?

Question about the "dork disk"....any chance of the chain jumping off the largest cog and wrecking the spokes? I'm guessing that is what the disk was designed to prevent.

Drop bars are hanging on the wall....and yes, can easily be reversed. :wink:

I'm not a roadie so you purists will have to look away, ha ha.
I think I only have one bike still around with the "dork disc" on it. If you keep the dérailleur adjusted properly it shouldn't be a problem.

Aaron 8)

Gettin closer....notice the lack of "dork disc"...ha ha! :lol:

Oh yeah...new tires too.

100_3905.jpg

100_3908.jpg

Hooch is hooking me up with this clean set up. Gotta love the red dots and the Schwinn cushion grips.

P6200003.jpg

Here's the finished product....mmmmm....tastey. :lol:

100_3998.jpg

100_3999.jpg

100_4000.jpg

100_4003.jpg

100_4004.jpg

100_4007.jpg

100_4008.jpg

100_3978.jpg

A little before and after action.

100_3799.jpg

100_3998.jpg

Steve, your bike looks great! you got to love a black & red bike, just one thing that I do deferent is my shifters. I move them from the down tube to the bars or stem, then you don't have to reach down to shift. These makes for less hand movement and more control at higher speeds. I own about ten deferent road bikes and a number of english three speeds. As long as you enjoy your bike thats what counts.

dos cruiser said:
Steve, your bike looks great! you got to love a black & red bike, just one thing that I do deferent is my shifters. I move them from the down tube to the bars or stem, then you don't have to reach down to shift. These makes for less hand movement and more control at higher speeds. I own about ten deferent road bikes and a number of english three speeds. As long as you enjoy your bike thats what counts.

I think you're right my friend. But don't tell Hooch because he will then dig through his extensive parts collection and show me a mint condition set of dual shifters that he has and I'll be forced to send him more money....which I'm fresh out of at the moment. He got the last bit of it for the bars, grips and levers. :shock:

Another beautiful detailing job there Steve! I've come to the conclusion that you are genetically incapable of leaving a single speck of dirt or grease on any bike you touch :mrgreen:

-Mp

he should start a part time bike detailing business just to make more bike money lol
some people gt way too much money and would gladley pay you decent cash to do that to their rides :)

Yall are crackin me up....yeah...I've got issues. :?

This all sort of started as a result of detailing my 87 Grand National every week. You could eat dinner off the engine of that car.

I actually did have a small detailing business going for about a year when I got out of college. I knew a guy who built a brand new do-it-yourself car wash with a couple of laser wash bays at the end. He let me put a sign up above the change machine for detailing. I'd usually get a car or two a weekend to do. Usually charge $100 a car. Pretty good money, but it was hard work...especially for a gringo in the Texas heat.

Latest posts

Back