1980 Schwinn Sidewinder Single Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was a recent CL find.

1980SideWinder_Jul282011_02.jpg

1980SideWinder_Jul282011_04.jpg

The serial number is MRxxxxxx which makes it an '80. I haven't broke it down yet to check the date codes on the parts. Kinda weird because all the Sidewinders i've seen were either 1982 or 83 and multi-speed (5 or 10). I bought it from the original owner. The only non OG parts are the tires and possibly the grips (has period correct 'Toadstool' grips). Has the Ukai rims, Dia Compe brakes, Brooks seat, etc. Also has a chainguard which looks original...never seen that before on a SW. The only cable guides on the frame are the ones for the rear brake.

Anyone have info on this or have a pic of another?

-Paul

that does seem like it has some odd touches.... :?

it's cool that it doesn't have those cable guides, that would make it a more appealing ss project frameset in my eyes. 8)

kinda like 'sidewinder' meets 'king sting' meets 'cruiser'...... :D

It is strange since the Schwinn catalogs don't show the Sidewinder model until 1982.

What year did that start going to the 4 digit headbadge stamping for the date code...was it after 1984?

Check your headbadge to see if a 4 digit code is stamped there.

1982_27.JPG

Pretty rare piece there!

Multi speed Sidewinders are scarce and single speeds are real tough to find. This is only the second one I've seen.

Yours is an "M" serial number so it is probably a 1981 model. I think the Sidewinder may have been released sometime in 1981 although they are not in any of my 81' literature. I've seen them in white with 80' and 81' date codes too. The four digit code on the headbadge will help. A lot of other components on this bike should be date coded as well. Handlebars, stem, hubs, crank, tires, brakes, fork, etc...

I had a single speed sidewinder a few years ago, and asked the same thing about the numbers being older than the bike. The consensus was that Schwinn used Varsity frames that were allready laying around. As far as rarity goes... well, I couldn't give mine away. I finally parted it out to slightly exceed the $100 I paid for it. BTW, mine had the exact same chainguard. (I think I still have it)

I remember seeing some of those around as a kid and always thought they looked funny. now I think they are cool. what size frame did they use?

20". The oft-repeated internet rumor is that it's a Varsity/Continental frame, but judging by the ST angle and chainstay length, I'd say it's closer to a Collegiate/ Speedster frame... but it seems to have more clearance at the stays for fatter tires than either a Varsity or a Collegiate would have.

Back