1980 Schwinn Craigslist find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1980 Schwinn cruiser. $140. Gonna klunkify it. Did a fender excision and a de-baskefication. (put it on the cruiser 5) while im at it, may as well show y'all my 62 as well. (sorry, not the best pic)
Screenshot_20240209-164523~2.png
PXL_20240210_031710353.jpg
PXL_20240210_031942374.jpg
PXL_20240210_041109020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue one is a Typhoon. I bought one new in 1981, been sitting in the bike shop collecting dust. The cruiser didn't have fenders.

Wish I had just one of those frames to work with.

That red 62 Typhoon double tube is one of my absolute favorite Schwinn frames. Some say they were only available one year, some say they were out in 61 as well. Either way, a rare one

The blue one is a Typhoon. I bought one new in 1981, been sitting in the bike shop collecting dust. The cruiser didn't have fenders.

Wish I had just one of those frames to work with.
Thanks for the info. Just for the record, how can you tell? The cantilever frames pretty much all look the same to me... Unless it's the chrome chain guard that gives it away. But that's one of the things I've always wondered about the old schwinns, they all had different names but they all pretty much look the same with the exception of maybe tire size or handlebars etc

Thanks for the info. Just for the record, how can you tell? The cantilever frames pretty much all look the same to me... Unless it's the chrome chain guard that gives it away. But that's one of the things I've always wondered about the old schwinns, they all had different names but they all pretty much look the same with the exception of maybe tire size or handlebars etc
Schwinn used the same frame, usually an 18" size for the cantilever bikes. The catalogs show the models. That's how I could tell the cruiser didn't have fenders and the Typhoon had chrome ones. Also, the chain wheels are different, cruiser had the old style 4 leaf clover and the Typhoon had the mag style. Here's the page I used for the 80 Schwinns:
https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/schwinn-catalogs/
1707600685875.jpeg

1707600715626.jpeg

That red 62 Typhoon double tube is one of my absolute favorite Schwinn frames. Some say they were only available one year, some say they were out in 61 as well. Either way, a rare one
The frames were, but the first Typhoon was a 1962 model. Then the Typhoon was a cantilever frame 63 and onward, so a one year bike.
A friend has a Skipper, same frame, January 1961 bike.

Schwinn used the same frame, usually an 18" size for the cantilever bikes. The catalogs show the models. That's how I could tell the cruiser didn't have fenders and the Typhoon had chrome ones. Also, the chain wheels are different, cruiser had the old style 4 leaf clover and the Typhoon had the mag style. Here's the page I used for the 80 Schwinns:
https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/schwinn-catalogs/
View attachment 258589
View attachment 258590
thanks for the info!!

Latest posts

Back