1979 Schwinn with FF System front freewheel - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
SOLD

I picked this up a year ago and didn't even realize it had the bizarre FF System where the crank is actually a freewheel.
Has anyone ever seen one of these?
Is there any value to them parted out?
I like the saddle on this one too.

Here is video of how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51Eu11sfHQ

1979 Collegiate 5 (JQ517736)

Perry generator clamp (Made in England).
Cool flared mini fenders
GT120 Derailleur

WP_001385.jpg

WP_001386.jpg

WP_001387.jpg

WP_001388.jpg

WP_001390.jpg

WP_001391.jpg

WP_001392.jpg

WP_001394.jpg

WP_001393.jpg

Re: 1979 Schwinn with FF System front freewheel -Worth anything?

Not too uncommon...the whole idea behind it was to be able the shift the gears without having to be pedaling.If you ever ridden next to someone riding a bike with the Shimano FF system it looks really cool...almost like "spinner" wheels on a car.The front sprocket & rear cluster on the 5-speed version are harder to find...P 8)

I have a 74 Schwinn Suburban in the garage with a crank like that. I dont think it says FF system on it,though....

What Pappy said! I've ridden a few and they both seemed to work really nice--smooth too. You can just be coasting or even walking the bike and shift. Kind of surprised something like this didn't stick.. the cycling purists probably had something to do with that :lol:

Nice bike - I have a 3 speed twin to that, 79 Collegiate 3, same color, same seat. nice rider.

Doesn't sound like the FF System means more $$ on the bike or if I removed it. I am keeping it on the bike and flipping it. I might take the fenders off to sell, but they look so perfect on the bike, I will probably just leave them. Some SCAD (art college) girl will love this bike.

What's that clamp on the fork for? A rifle rack? :shock: Gary

kingfish254 said:
Doesn't sound like the FF System means more $$ on the bike or if I removed it. I am keeping it on the bike and flipping it. I might take the fenders off to sell, but they look so perfect on the bike, I will probably just leave them. Some SCAD (art college) girl will love this bike.

Too funny. I went to SCAD. Seems ages ago. (Graduated in 94) Met my wife there too. She worked in City Market at a new age place called Dreamweaver.

Was a crazy town!

Fisch said:
kingfish254 said:

Too funny. I went to SCAD. Seems ages ago. (Graduated in 94) Met my wife there too. She worked in City Market at a new age place called Dreamweaver.

Was a crazy town!

Very cool. Always glad to see a "SCAD kid" that has done well!

I took off the cool Mesinger and the gun rack/tennis racket holder and sold it for $80 today as is. New tubes and a light tune-up and the SCAD girl is going to have a cool ride.

Just remember if one part fails, BB or the freewheel you have to use the normal usual parts. I had a 10 spd Panasonic with the same deal. Also the "Auto Bike" uses the same BB.

I've been looking for one of those FF cranks, to add a motor assist to a project bike. Anyone got one they would like to sell or (even better) trade for? You can see some of my stuff in my for sale adds, still have quite a bit.

What he said ^^. Any body got one for sale or trade?

i know this post is older but I just picked up a men's/boys version of this bike mine is 1980 it has the ff system and love it it reminds me of an auto bike only you have to shift manually but I am always in the right gear mine needs the correct rear derailleur but it works good just does not shift up to first bought mine for 10 bucks someone really loved this bike it's pretty decked
24651122_159939141277598_799320383_o.jpg

Back