1979 Murray Monterey and 1982? Huffy Good Vibrations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I saw a guy listing 2 cantilever frame bikes on CL, they had been there before, but in the ad he said "trade for road bike" I had a 1989 Schwinn Prelude with an Aerospoke that everyone wanted, but nobody would commit to buying, so I made the trade. Funny, after I agreed to trade the bike I got 5 e-mails and a text about the Schwinn, I told the guy I'd send all the people to him and maybe he can make some money off of that bike.

He had the bikes listed as a 1960 Murray Monterey and a 1982 Huffy Good Vibrations. As soon as I arrived I looked at the sticker on the Murray and told him it was a 1979 (made in October), I haven't looked at the Huffy enough to know if it really is an '82 or not, doesn't really matter.

When I put the bikes on my roof rack I noticed something interesting, the tires on both bikes are in VERY good condition, he said he got the Murray from a lady who had it inside on a trainer. Anyway, the Murray tires say "Schwinn Cruiser" on them, they don't belong on this bike, just wondering if they are worth anything?

Here are the photos:

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_5027.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

largek9 said:
Kool deal! I have a red one just like that one Its a five speed and a couple murrays! harder to find than a couple of years ago. Yours look really clean.

I'm afraid I'm going to cut up the Huffy and make something, not sure on the Murray yet, it's the nicer bike, I already have a '76. While I'm modding the Huffy (burrito) it will lend it's wheelset to my '56 JC Higgins to turn it into a rider.

Lucky, I always wanted one of those tan Murray's but everyone around here is from the 90's as much as I like them I would like to find one like that or atleast the 1960's that has a tank on it but people will always want way more than i could afford.

That Huffy is nice too, lately I have been seeing 80's Huffy bikes pop up a lot around here from around the same year as yours.

Also the Murray is exactly as old as I am.

Sweet finds :p The tires look like they're off the 90's repop Schwinn cruisers :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Sweet finds :p The tires look like they're off the 90's repop Schwinn cruisers :wink:

Never been around one of the repops, would these tire have any value or should I just roll on them? I'd just hate to roll on them if someone else needed them and would trade me another set of nice tires for them.

kngtmat said:
Lucky, I always wanted one of those tan Murray's but everyone around here is from the 90's as much as I like them I would like to find one like that or atleast the 1960's that has a tank on it but people will always want way more than i could afford.

Also the Murray is exactly as old as I am.

I'd never seen the tan Murray before, I like it but really don't know what I'm going to do with it. I love the long deep rear fender, but now that I think of it, my 08/76 Murray Skybolt (2 months older than me) had shallow short chrome fenders, why would they go to a longer deeper fender 3 years later?

Is it because it's a Monterey?

What year did they drop the pointy drop-outs?

I think I figured they droped the pointed dropouts in either 1988, 89 or 90, I noticed in the early or mid 80's that Monterey's stopped having fenders which I believe Westports were the ones that kept them.

In the late 90's some Murray bicycle started to have springer forks but not the rat trap forks though which is my favorite of the many springer fork styles out there.

I read from a s site about SoCal beach cruisers that Murray listened well & did their beach cruisers a bit better than the other companies did especially at giving them the Southern California names like Monterey, Westport and the Santa Cruz.

Thanks for the info, I guess my biggest head scratching thing about this bike is the 1976 that I own and how this one with the striping on the fork, the longer deeper fenders, and 2 fender braces each makes this newer bike look older than my Skybolt (which was 100% stock save for the tires and saddle).

bolt1.jpg

I don't think they're that special. :? They would have gone on this bike: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48813&p=474014#p474014 :wink:
yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Never been around one of the repops, would these tire have any value or should I just roll on them? I'd just hate to roll on them if someone else needed them and would trade me another set of nice tires for them.

Nice finds. I wonder if just the tires are from the Schwinn or it the wheelsets are from a Schwinn as well.

kingfish254 said:
Nice finds. I wonder if just the tires are from the Schwinn or it the wheelsets are from a Schwinn as well.

Nope, just the tires, the wheels are just like those on my '76, wide with a "healthy" weld at the joint and the "MO" stamping, just a heck of a lot cleaner than my others. Since the tires really aren't special, I'll roll on them, just was wondering if anyone needed them to complete a bike because I would've traded them then.

kngtmat said:
Here is one of those late 90's Murray with the springer fork, it's a Murray Valiant Classic but this one is a Ladies.
http://www.socalbicycles.com/MurrayValiantW.htm

It would be cool to find a newer springer like that on a trade like this.

Upon researching late model Western Flyers, I've found that the Murray Monterey and the later Huffy Good Vibrations were more geared towards older folks, alot like a Lincoln car is. The Western Flyer version was the Galaxy Flyer (discontinued circa 1980), then later the Grand Trophy (sounds like a Senior Citizen, LOL!). Which would explain the old school look they had.

Just a model difference. Now, I see more Huffy Good Vibrations than I do Murray Montereys or Western Flyer Galaxy Flyers/Grand Trophys. I think I have the ad for the Western Flyer version of your Murray.

partsguy said:
Just a model difference. Now, I see more Huffy Good Vibrations than I do Murray Montereys or Western Flyer Galaxy Flyers/Grand Trophys. I think I have the ad for the Western Flyer version of your Murray.

I can deal with a geriatric bike, I'm feeling old some days, like last Sunday when I crashed my 29er in the woods going over some dirt jumps.

I was just examining the Murray a little closer today, man, it's a really nice bike.

Nice finds! Too bad the Murray doesn't have the og tires. They were Carlisle Lightning Dart ww's, the last ones made! I bought an identical ladies' version for $100, mainly for the tires. I also bought an Identical Huffy in 1996, it was on sale at Rose's for $69! I swapped the rims & tires on to my 56 Corvette, since there weren't any S7 ww's available that I could find! I later sold the Huffy with the S7 rims and blackwalls to parents who's kid lost his license. So, somewhere in Va. beach, there's a red Good Vibrations with a fairly nice set of S7 rims originally from a '67 Fair Lady. :mrgreen: -Adam

Latest posts

Back