1979 Emory handmade straightbar cruiser frame-up buildup!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The pictures really do not do this frame justice. I am so excited to begin the buildup of this frame. It is beautifully made ("guaranteed handmade" :mrgreen:) with Ashatabula blade fork (and stem?). Thank you Wildcat for selling it to me. I'll take some better pictures as soon as the sun comes out... it really is a nice color. The paintjob is extremely well done. This is definitely on par with a worksman, I dare say. :wink: Horse head badge. Made using leftover HP Snyder stuff (dropouts, chainguard should be familiar). Straight and clean as an arrow, and rather rugged. The fenders are not original, although the color is a very nice match- thank you Udallkustombikes! :D

THE BUILDUP:

I plan on using either Electra cream diamond tires or Felt Quick Brick Whitewalls (opinions desired!). The wheels will be a set of vintage chrome heavy duty wheels from a '60's tandem (Bendix RB single speed out back), and I plan on using a Ross mini lucky seven sprocket up front. Hoping to find a nice diamond 1/2 pitch chain. Then, Super wide vintage half moon bars, omega plush old Western Flyer black pleated seat (thanks to Simpleman), Colson lucky seven seat post, black or red Hunt Wilde repro grips? (Haven't made my mind up on that yet). I will definitely be changing the fender braces out in favor of some black JC Higgins jet flo braces. (The lower ones would ride on the outside of the fenders). Not sure about pedals yet, keeping my eyes open for something cool and appropriate. Might put a Monark fender ornament on the front fender. Keeping my eyes open for a cool rear reflector of some kind (Jc Higgins tombstone..?)

THE GOALS:

I hope to put some decent miles on this one this summer... and I'm hoping to get this one done in two or three weeks time, starting now. :shock: Overall, I want this to be a mix of new and old in terms of beach cruiser.

ORIGINAL STATE:

r7r47d.jpg

AS OF 6/11/2010:

ml4969.jpg

2iibbj4.jpg

33ud92w.jpg

1687xu0.jpg

2llkmts.jpg

devjhk.jpg

5b62r7.jpg

f3c93q.jpg

28a592d.jpg

296dcb9.jpg

2n9yl9l.jpg

Those painted fenders look great. I was going to ask if you wanted the original chrome ones, but those give it a classic look.

The stem is the one that came with it, different in that the wedge is on the side instead of the front. I've never seen one like that.

Thanks! And yeah, with these fenders I'm pretty well set up at the moment, thanks.

I think I saw one other stem like this, but I can't remember when, where, on what... certainly different.

Although you posted it a long time ago, I only just realized that Aerofast is still making this same exact frame. Too cool!

I was wondering if I had the correct seat, yours is identical. I use it on my Typhoon now. Like a sofa.

S J Wilmer said:
Very nice ,Id recommend the Electra tyres , they are 2.35 and are really well made , they would set the bike of just right .

Thanks for the recommendation, I am either going with the Electra diamonds or quick bricks by Felt, haven't decided conclusively yet. I really like the electra's, but I really want to go with whitewalls and I'm not so sure my fenders can cover the diamond patterned tires anyway (They are a bit slimmer than other balloon fenders). The nice thing about the frame is the fork and rear triangle are both super spacey... it'd be good to fill all that space up :wink:

udallcustombikes said:
Fenders look good on there! I just built an Emory up at work this weekend. No before pics, but it was a nasty grimy industrial yellow.
An hour and a half in the blast cabinet took care of that.

Thanks! I love these fenders, and the color really did work out well. :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing the bike at work, that's great! (Ps, if they ever want to replace that sweet Emory at work, I'd be interested in it...)

Wildcat said:
I was wondering if I had the correct seat, yours is identical. I use it on my Typhoon now. Like a sofa.

I guess so, and yeah it looks comfy! I will let the cat out of the bag, here is the seat I will be using... also like a sofa, I am told :mrgreen: Just waiting for it to make it through the postal service...

o7836x.jpg

2lcv3m0.jpg

2vwwzg9.jpg

I bought the crank off of this bike from Rusty513, it too will find its way onto the Emory.

2j1vn83.jpg

Latest posts

Back