1974 Schwinn Varsity Single Speed Hot Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am done. I still want to get some gold pedals and lights but other than that I think it's done.

665169_385136878227286_960986469_o.jpg

I am still new to the forum and am still going through all the threads. I stumbled upon herr_rudolf's Single Speed build-off thread and fell in love with what he did. Here is a photo of it:
gazelle_30_p.jpg

I picked up this '74 Varsity for $15 on CL. So far I have stripped it down to the frame. The wheels were full of rust so I trashed them, I was going to keep the front wheel to use but it was junk. I will be keeping the stem, looks like a racing stem.

CL ad Photo
1974Varsity1.jpg

I will be sand blasting it and probably be going with an olive drab green or gun metal matte finish. The wheels will be black and all other hardware will be black as well. I will be using white tires but am not sure what tire sizes i want.

After I got it home and tore it apart:
1974Varsity2.jpg

The stem:
1974Varsity3.jpg

what happen to the other stem? bike looks good. nice an clean.

Outlaw 8)

I was asking cuz the frame looks small.. I think cuz of the picture.. I like it though. :D . You should check out my SS that I have posted in the all Schwinn Post.. I't blue with a chrome blade fork but no tube and tires on it yet.. Still in the working on it process..

thanks about the stem. guess I got confussed.lol. that happens alot. I am just an old guy.lol. lookin good so far.

Outlaw 8)

I sort of figured out my rear wheel issue I was having. I disassembled the freewheel part of the cassette on accident when I only wanted to remove the whole thing. Anyway it's cool now. I test fitted my new seat and it looks good. I plant on sandblasting the whole bike over the holiday weekend.

1974Varsity5.jpg

Man I need to get on the ball! We have been busy trying to get the last of the shop tools setup and going. I just need a few more fitting for our new compressor and I will get back to work on this. I am not looking forward to the hot summer in the shop but it will pay off when the bike is done.

Cool. I have one of these that I've been staring at while building other bikes. I want to do something like this with it. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Nice color, it will look cool with cream tires.

Back