1968 september Schwinn Stingray 3 speed with coaster brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the all original bike.3 SPEED HANDLEBAR THUMB SHIFT WITH 3 SPEED HUB, FRONT LEVER BRAKE, REAR COASTER BRAKE, INTERESTING ORIGINAL COMBO
IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

to my knowledge it might be a three speed, maybe its a 2 speed but the sturmey thumb handlebar shifter has 3 speeds on the window. And in the 1968 schwinn forums, it says a model comes with a front handbrake, a coaster brake and a sturmey shifter on the thumb handlebar right side. Yes, the rear tire is not original, and the rim,but the sturmey 2 or 3 speed hub on the rear is original. And the sissy bar, are u sure that model didnt come with a 36 inch sissy bar. its JD code september 1968 issue.

Thanks cman, so no model came with a thumb shift sturmey on the bars, and a rear coaster brake and a left front hand brake then? Also, is it missing fenders, or did this model not come with fenders?

on the link you sent me cman, the link says on the 2 speed models on the caption on the left, come with one handbrake. Thats what this model has. one hand brake and one coaster brake. and where the front brake lever would go on the right side, its a sturmey thumb shifter instead.

The girls came with the thumb shifter. They boys did later (1972?) after Ralph Nader put a stop to the stick shifter. The two speed is a Bendix Kickback hub.

Yours would be just a standard Stingray that may or may not came as a three speed.

is there a way to find out, if so, should i just leave the bike the way it is? In your opinion, was this worth getting? And, on the rear hub, it says sturmey archer labeled on it.

There are some others on this site that are better at Stingray. Hopefully they will chime in tonight.

I think it is a great bike eventhough it is not original. It doesn't have much collector value outside some of the parts. But the $100 trade, I think you got a great deal. I would leave it as is and ride the heck out of it.

cool, thanks . I really appreciate the help and inspiration u have given me Cman.

Thanks,
Sean

Cool, thanks! They are trying to tell me that thats not a model with a coaster brake with a 3 speed hub that has a left handbrake and a thumb shifting sturmey archer shifter on the right handlebar

Personally, I don't care much what is original or not. That is a cool looking bike. Much cooler if it had a stick shift, but cool even with the thumb shifter.

TXBONE said:
Cool, thanks! They are trying to tell me that thats not a model with a coaster brake with a 3 speed hub that has a left handbrake and a thumb shifting sturmey archer shifter on the right handlebar

Since its a 68 it should have a stick shift. 1973 was the last year for the stick shifts. I personally have never heard of or seen a 3 speed coaster hub on a stingray. Also it should have front and rear brakes if it had gears.

I say just ride it as is. Its a nice looking bike.

Back