1966 Schwinn Stingray: Few Questions...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone, been awhile since I've posted. Just starting to get back into crusing weather here in Iowa. Been a pretty chilly spring so far. Anyways I found this bike on a for sale page on FB. 1966 Schwinn Stingray. All original! First off, is that seat post factory bent, or did someone think it needed to be hit with a hammer a few time? Also anything special with the rear hub with the red stripe? It has its original tires on it. I am gonna pull those off and store them, whats the best route to keep the from dry rotting? Seat will be recovered. Chrome polished up, suggestions there besides steel wool? The paint is gonna stay original on this one. My last Stingray was restored 100% from the ground up, you can see it in the last picture. Thanks everyone!

IMG_2134_zps1910e276.jpg

IMG_2132_zps00b9bd3d.jpg

IMG_2133_zps1fc0d971.jpg

IMG_2129_zps22b720f8.jpg

IMG_2130_zps5230245b.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsfda74b4f.jpg

21125_10152997307725413_1666509075_n.jpg

Very Nice Score on the StingRay first of all,also the bend is not Factory
Who knows how it got bent like that ? should be very easy to find a Replacement
if not I Have a Few extras layin around., good idea on putting the tires away if you plan on riding it , i'd just put them in a cool place such as a closet maybe?
There are a number of ways too clean that surface rust off the Chrome ,I Normally just put dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle and a lil scrubbing
with a Small ( Brass ) Brush, in the tight places and wheels and steel wool in the others, Works for me ...Take Care .

~RafaeL~

Steel wool is bad news for chrome. It may be a quick way to polish something but given time the rust will come back worse than before. Use some good quality chrome polish like mothers. Steel wool will make millions of little microscopic scratches on the surface of the chrome. Hit some chrome with a high power flashlight to see the damage of steel wool. Chrome polish may take more effort and time but in the log run you will be better off.
Keep the tires out of sunlight to keep them from dry rotting and cracking.
You can find seat posts pretty cheap on ebay or from other members.
The red stripe hub is the standard single speed hub. Nothing special.
Good luck.
Nice bike by the way.

You found my childhood bike! Here's a pic of my coppertone '66 StingRay under the Christmas tree, along with my brothers blue one. I'd try and buy it from you but I'm too tall to ride it anymore so you can keep it.:thumbsup: Gary

Well its stripped down, crank repacked and cleaned up. Chrome is all polished. Whats the best wax for the original Schwinn paint? The factory Schwinn tubes are still in the tires! Anybody have a white banana seat laying around they don't need?

d. Whats the best wax for the original Schwinn paint? ?

It is paint on steel. Just like a billion cars. I use a Turtle wax in tubs from the local car parts store, not a spray or liquid version. The old adage of the more work the better the results applies to waxes. Seems to hold up better than the natural waxes of 20 years ago. Just don't let it dry for too long. It's tough stuff and hard to polish in the nooks and cracks. I'll do two coats on better bikes. A clean and waxed bike sure does stay cleaner and is easier to wipe any dirt off.

Consider having the seat recovered? You can media blast the steel pan and repaint prior to new padding & vinyll. Probably wouldn't cost any more than a correct replacement.

The seat will be recovered. But its going on my new to me Schwinn Fastback. For this one I purchased another covered seat.

Back