1964 Studebaker Schwinn Merger Prototype Discovered

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the mid sixties the Studebaker company was looking for anyway possible to stay afloat, after being turned down for loans, in desperation they attempted a merger with the then flush Schwinn bicycle company. This bike was discovered in one of the companies now vacant buildings out on the proving grounds.
Sadly, the merger fell through when Studebaker's Blinker Fluid & Muffler Bearing Union and Schwinn's Spoke Nipple & Valve Cap local 432 could not come to a binding labor agreement. Strange but true.

DSC05004.jpg

DSC05007.jpg

DSC05005.jpg

Looks great man! Interesting story. Who would have thought Ratrodbikes.com would be filled with such rich and accurate history? :wink:

Ralph Nader probably would'a nixed it after 1 year of production anyway. That thing is dangerous! (eyeroll)

i had a '53 commander 232 v8 automatic hardtop - like this but i painted it silver with a blue top. i wish i had it now - they want $10k for this one . . . mine wasn't far from this condition either

1953studebakercommander2dr0807.jpg

Back