1963 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out! My sister in law got this bike for my niece. Paid $50 for it at a yard sale.

Holy cow, I'm having a huge bikegasm staring at this hoss.

18076814-4569-cc96.jpg

18076814-45a0-3f0e.jpg

18076814-45e1-cab2.jpg

18076814-462d-cff4.jpg

18076814-4652-4ae5.jpg

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's awesome what some people are getting rid of "because it's old." I learned a bit about the bike's history.

The original owner had this bike and used it as part of a payment for contractor services. The contractor got it for his daughter, thinking she'd like it for its retro look. She hated it. So my sister in law saw it, and knew that my niece has a love for all things old, and snatched it up for the asking price of $50.

My niece has been using this bike as her commuter to swim practice, but it was being treated as a junker/beater. Yesterday, my brother brought it over, and now I'm gonna give the bike a tune-up, and overall polish and shakedown, and the niece gets it back AFTER getting a good bike lock. The grips had been swapped out for cheeseball foam grips, but I've fixed that.

So, a question for you more experienced guys: How do I polish the paint? Are we talking rubbing compound and wax, here? Or maybe something else? I have no idea.

Get some Maguires (sp?) but don't polish the decals/lettering. They will disappear if you use compound on them. You really should get some generic tires for that bike and save the Westwind tires. They are really getting scarce and should be on a collectors bike, not a commuter. Gary

Latest posts

Back