1960s schwinn cruiser??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there everyone, i was picking up the car from the mechanic out in the boondocks and i noticed this old bike, i saw the schwinn headbadge on it and asked how much he wanted for it, he said 10 bucks, i figured what did i have to lose...other than 10 bucks :p

schwinn01.jpg

schwinn02.jpg

i doubt the fork is a schwinn fork it looks more like a mountain bike fork, and the wheels are crud,there is rust but nothing that doesnt look slavageable. However there are parts that are giving me trouble, I can only get one pedal off the other feels pretty stuck, any suggestions as to how i can rip that pedal out of there and still salvage the crank?

seat post feels pretty stiff too, i dont know if you guys have any suggestions there...the fork is also giving me some trouble to take off i just need some grips tho for that.

here is also something that i'm wondering about, the year of the bike...the serial is on the bottom left dropout and it reads Yxxxxx Its a Y i've looked at it for awhile... bunch-o-bikes doesn't list Y in their archive. http://www.bunchobikes.com/serialnumber4.htm

i'm giving the frame to my roommate i just got the bike for the crank and sprocket, the seat post clamp, and other little knick knacks for other projects, oddly enough these small parts that i need are the ones that are giving me the most trouble

That's an early 80s model Schwinn Cruiser....the forks are correct.

Get rid of all of that blue paint and you'll be good to go! :D

Here's an 84 I used to own...

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

thats a beauty of an 84!

i'll have to show my roommate, he wanted a bike, i'm giving him the frame for him make something out of it, if he gets started i'll see about getting him wrangled into this site :D

i was able to get the sprocket off for my own personal projects, and had to trash the tires and wheels due to rot, seat post is stuck, frame is solid

all in all i think i did pretty good for 10 bucks

for ten bucks that bike is cool. i have amf roadmaster with a frame that looks like that. i got the stuck seat post out with wd40 and a pipe wrinch might put a rag around the post first so it dont get scuffed

CCR said:
is the pedal stuck or are you forgeting the right side pedal is a left handed (reverse) thread ?
i got the pedal unstuck....and yes it was reverse thread haha i should get more sleep.

mastershake916 said:
I like those forks, if that one needs a home let me know.
i would have gladly mailed it to you, but my roommate has taken an interest in the bike, i plan on trying to get him on this site, who knows what he'll make :p

Stuck seat post? Go to the "How to" section, click on the sticky, click on the "stuck seat post" threads. :wink:

Hugo

Hugo said:
Stuck seat post? Go to the "How to" section, click on the sticky, click on the "stuck seat post" threads. :wink:

Hugo
One "tell" if it's a Heavy Duti that late in the run that it would have that fork is that it would have Canadian built rims similar to S2's but with a small rise in the middle. From what I can see on the photos, they look flat, lot of paint on there though.

I think they would be Sun, Suntour or Arya if I recall.

Joshua85 said:
mastershake916 said:
I like those forks, if that one needs a home let me know.
i would have gladly mailed it to you, but my roommate has taken an interest in the bike, i plan on trying to get him on this site, who knows what he'll make :p
So might as well keep them on the bike unless it's replaced by a springer or something.

I checked mine and it has/had Sun brand knurled rims that look a lot like 26" s-2's but raised in the center. Stamped Made In Canada 8 88.

Back