1959 Edsel Ranger -- mild custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I bought a 1959 Edsel Ranger today! It has 76,000 original miles, a 223 six cylinder engine, and 3 on the tree! I usually name them girly names, but I think this one will be Chuck or Walker........ after all it is a Ranger!!

IMG_13312.JPG

I think this ride is just begging for a candy apple red metal flake roof and fill in between the side trim! And remove the center hub cap, paint the wheels black, add spider caps and wide whitewalls.

IMG_13331.JPG

IMG_13322.JPG

Interior is black and silver and very nice!

IMG_1334.JPG

Isn't this end of the car in bad need of some 59' Cadillac tail lights........ coming soon!

Last edited:
Nice ride man...a little lowering and it looks perfect to me.
Oh yeah, it does need to drop a little. The rear is leafs, so just blocks and new u bolts will cure that. The front will have a have a round or two cut out of the coil.

Nice ride. How about dropping a 390 in it.

A V8 is in it's future for sure. I like 390's but I am planning to cruise the wheels off of this thing. You know, catch up on all of the relaxing miles it has missed out on over the years. A not so correct 289/302 will probably be the engine of choice after the 6 cylinder pulls up lame. Automatic and vintage air will probably come with a new power plant also. All in good time of course. I can't just pull a good running car apart with summer coming up soon. A 390 might help lower the front end down though.:)

I think a 390 was an opition that year, not to sure. My dad had a Lincoln motor in a 61 ford galaxie not sure cid it was. Used it to pull a travel trailer Put a good C4 auto in it.

Yeah, the big edsel engines were listed by torque rating. the 400 was a 361 cu. inch V8 and the top option was a 475 that was 410 cu. inch. The "ford engine" edsels were 292, or 312 engines. But, there may have been some 390's used in 1959 or 1960.

Last edited:
312, 292, 272 Were "Y" block. My brother had a 312 4 barrel carb in his 57 fairlane that car was fun. Brother was afraid of it. In 1993 I bought a Mustang with a 302 in it and the thing would move. Cruise 100 mph all day long. I was not into 0-60 times but I was into high spd cruise.

My 1960 F100 had the 292 in it. With loud duals, sounded like a race car. Good low end torque.

I still like the six in it better! Simple is cool. Just like a rat rod single speed bike. And probably runs just fine like that.

Lets see the car weighs about 3900 lbs the In Line 6 produces about 145 hp and has 206 feet pounds of torque. When new. I think he might have 2 spd trans. So I think the car does needs an up grade in hp department. A strong 289, 302 or 5 liter is in order.

I did a tune up on it last night and the plugs show no signs of oil fouling! A power house, it is not....but I think that it is trustworthy transportation right now. I'll do some mild custom mods to the body for now, and think about a transplant next winter....or the next.:)

Will if you want to keep a 6 transplant it with a v6 from a new model mustang that's been totaled. I think they are running around 300 hp.

Yeah, power output is almost unbelievable from the current production engines.

WOW! super clean! looks like a museum piece!
Is the motor a 7 bearing 300? those things are indestructible and pull 10's and 11's in the old Mavericks with after market parts, don't ever change it !! a few bolt ons and it will be savage!

WOW! super clean! looks like a museum piece!
Is the motor a 7 bearing 300? those things are indestructible and pull 10's and 11's in the old Mavericks with after market parts, don't ever change it !! a few bolt ons and it will be savage!

Thanks, it's not a 300. Different family, 223 engine.... but a 300 engine swap is not out of the question either.

Back