1953 Shelby resto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Finally got around to working on this '53 Shelby I bought last year. I am really into the patina on the red tank, so I pulled it and put it aside for another day. I had another tank that was pretty much bare metal. I got the bike stripped down and it should get blasted this weekend. I am pretty much going back stock with it. I figure that is something new for me. Been surfing the net looking for color combinations. I am leaning towards the two-toned blue on the fork. I have a nice set of chrome for the springer, but still need a set of truss rods if anyone wants to help a brother out. Just be warned that this will be a slow build.

Before
53_shelby2.jpg

After
shelby_parts.jpg

I love the "fattiness" of those Shelby tanks!
Have fun with this build!

One option on those rusty truss rods, especially the aesthetic ones, is aluminum 3\8 stock, polished to a chrome-like appearance. The main factor is how to terminate the ends. Schwinn versions are easy, though I made a custom set for my stretch (see stretch forum).
I did this for two main reasons.
1) I did not want to pay $60 bucks for reproductions or variations.
2) The salt air in my area would rapidly corrode any steel ones used on my polished cruiser.
I found this stock readily available at Home Depot. I also brought a coat hanger that matched the length and curve of my truss rod application. Using the conduit benders in the electrical aisle (the big yellow one), I bend the truss rods right there on the Home Depot floor, leaving the barcode label intact.
Checked out, went home, flanged the ends flat enough to work with the front axle, drilled out the holes, and polished with mag wheel compound. walla.

Thanks Tommy. I made a set of uppers for a Higgins springer about a year ago. I may go that route if I dont find a nice set.

Latest posts

Back