1953 Roadmaster Pleasure Liner???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just purchased a vintage Roadmaster tank bike, but I'm not sure what it is. It's been restored, but I will do it over. Several things confuse me as I can't find this bike anywhere else. It has a springer front, the Luxury liner style headlight (missing), a horn tank with horizontal ribs (painted over chrome), chome fenders (painted over), an unusual short rear rack, rear crash bars, and a narrow chain guard (painted over. The previous "restorer"also painted over all chome parts (handle bars, springer front, rear crash bars, etc) with argent paint. I thought this was to hide severe rust, but the chrome underneath is perfect???

Anyway, I would love to know what I have. My intent was to covert it to a luxury liner s I love the shiny chrome look, but I might restore it originaly if it turns out to be worth it. I've seen some Pleasure Liners that share some of these features - but not all. The paint jobs are pretty cool, but did AMF paint over the chome fenders, tanks and chain-guard?
Pleasure-tank_zpsfa9649f6.jpg

Pleasure-rack_zpsa87c678a.jpg

Pleasure-springerfork_zps470d0ddc.jpg

Pleasure-rightside_zps7e3ce5d2.jpg

Pleasure-seat_zpse716975b.jpg

thanks,

~Gary

cougrrr67 said:
Hi All,

I just purchased a vintage Roadmaster tank bike, but I'm not sure what it is. It's been restored, but I will do it over. Several things confuse me as I can't find this bike anywhere else. It has a springer front, the Luxury liner style headlight (missing), a horn tank with horizontal ribs (painted over chrome), chome fenders (painted over), an unusual short rear rack, rear crash bars, and a narrow chain guard (painted over. The previous "restorer"also painted over all chome parts (handle bars, springer front, rear crash bars, etc) with argent paint. I thought this was to hide severe rust, but the chrome underneath is perfect???

Anyway, I would love to know what I have. My intent was to covert it to a luxury liner s I love the shiny chrome look, but I might restore it originaly if it turns out to be worth it. I've seen some Pleasure Liners that share some of these features - but not all. The paint jobs are pretty cool, but did AMF paint over the chome fenders, tanks and chain-guard?

Pleasure-tank_zpsfa9649f6.jpg

Pleasure-rack_zpsa87c678a.jpg

Pleasure-springerfork_zps470d0ddc.jpg

Pleasure-rightside_zps7e3ce5d2.jpg

Pleasure-seat_zpse716975b.jpg

thanks,

~Gary

Re: 1953 Roadmaster Pleasure Liner - Mystery solved!

Hi All,

I solved the mystery. The first part was easy - it's a 1955 Luxury Liner. But who would paint over all the Chrome? The bike was completely disassembled and all chrome was painted over - spokes, fenders, springer front, wheels, tank, chain-guard - everything. Part of the answer is where I bought it - near Lancaster PA. The answer is that this bike was purchased by an Amish family and all chrome was painted over as many sects are required to do. The result is that I have a preserved 1955 Luxury Liner with all Chrome parts in near perfect condition (some small dents - but no rust or even pitting). Since 55 Luxury liners were practiaclly all chome, all I have to do is strip off that red paint and I have a near perfect bike. I got lucky. Now I have to find a headlight and tailight as they were removed for the same reason. Mystery solved!

~Gary

bebopblu said:
Would love to see photos when you get done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try to send PICs when I get it done. It's a pretty simple restoration - mostly stripping off the red paint where it's supposed to be chrome. I do need to repaint the tank and chain guard, but the frame is excellent. I do need to find a tank decal, head-light and tail-light, but I'll start on the paint this weekend.

~Gary

Euphman06 said:
OH man... near Lancaster? I'm about 2 hours away, not sure how I missed that one, was it on CL?

Hi,

No - my girlfriend and I are antique pickers who work that area often. I restored a 1958 Schwinn Tornado for her (resto-mod pink and chrome), and was looking for a bike/project for me. We ran into a flea market near York, and it was sitting in the first space we visited. I paid the guy $125 for it even though I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew I wanted a tank bike from that era (was hoping to find a Schwinn Phantom). I'm thrilled with this one however, as it is in incredible shape - basically preserved in near perfect condition. They even painted the spokes and wheels with argent paint, and they're perfect underneath - as are the fenders, tank (horn is perfect), springer front, handlebars, etc. I'm really looking forward to bringing it back - not really a restoration - more stripping paint than anything else.

Thanks,

~Gary

Back