1951 Schwinn?? HELP!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I recently purchased a frame off of a fellow member. The only thing he knew of the bike is that it was a Schwinn. I looked up the serial number, H083581, and found out its a 1951 Schwinn. Does anyone know what model it is? I can't seem to find out. It looks like a hornet but I have no clue. Please help!

0E60EA00-E767-4A41-97D6-EC23E2CC8B35-13042-000003C7824E459C.jpg

cman said:
The seat stays have been modified where they attach by the seat tube.
I bought it and they were broken. I had them welded there to give it a lower stance

Not a Hornet, it's a DX. A model D97X to be precise. Came out in '39 and died in the early 50's sometime. You can get repop tanks for this frame on ebay or from Maple Island Supply. Gary

I tried to get on Maple Island Supply website, couldn't get there, but found them on a search. Do you have a web address for them?

B607 said:
Not a Hornet, it's a DX. A model D97X to be precise. Came out in '39 and died in the early 50's sometime. You can get repop tanks for this frame on ebay or from Maple Island Supply. Gary
Thanks a lot! Good info

Wildcat said:
I tried to get on Maple Island Supply website, couldn't get there, but found them on a search. Do you have a web address for them?

I just clicked my link and the site is no longer there. Gone under maybe? Too bad, I got some good stuff from them over the years. Gary

Do you know if any other tanks will fit on this? Like and old hornet tank or panther tank?

That takes a tank all its own. Panther and Hornet tanks are for straight bar frames. The DX has two curved bars and the tank is skinnier. Gary

Okay thanks

Vintagebikelover24 said:
cman said:
I bought it and they were broken. I had them welded there to give it a lower stance
Just curious, will the stays being moved forward affect your tire diameter room?

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:
cman said:
Just curious, will the stays being moved forward affect your tire diameter room?

1918 Ranger

I was wondering about that as well? Is a tank going to fit also?

1918 Ranger said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:
cman said:

1918 Ranger

I made sure the wheel I wanted would fit but about the tank I'm not sure that's why I asked if any other tanks would fit

Here it is with a 26" tire on it. See plenty of room still
73908D4F-5572-47E9-87F0-7693FDDB312D-13042-000003C78A4DD7CE.jpg

Back