1950 Schwinn Excelsior trike ~ New Pic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the beginning of another project... my 24" 1950 Schwinn excelsior combined with a schwinn trike rear. It's eventually gonna wear some vintage baloon tires all around and a few other small changes including a vintage aluminum cooler on the rear.
cruchedcar013.jpg

029.jpg

Re: 1950 Schwinn Excelsior trike

Sweet Im anxious to see how this turns out! 8)

I have always wanted to build a vintage frame. With a trike rear looks good!

We were going to use a vintage cooler on islnder102's Etrike but it was just to heavy with the batterys etc.
CodenameElectrictrike003.jpg

CodenameElectrictrike002.jpg

Can't wait to see how yours comes out!

Well... here's the progress so far. I found 3 nice vintage 24" S2's and laced up the front to the original
Schwinn script logo hub and new spokes on all three corners. Cutting off every other tooth on the rear cog,
so I could still keep the skiptooth chain and front sprocket, worked like a charm. Satin Black paint on the rear
end and 3 new 24x2.125 tires.
The cranks are bent... so I guess that's next, then I'll figure out the best way to mount the cooler and rear baloon
fenders. wish me luck. more pics when I make a little more progress :D
003-1.jpg

That thing is going to be /is Sweet .

Looking good man!

Excel3or

I passed on an off brand trike this morning at a yard sale for $70. I was extremly low ridding and it had two separate axles. Only the right axle was driven.

Excel3or it should be!!!!!! Of course if you sell it you owe me a trademark cut of the profits!!! :p :p

Re: 1950 Schwinn Excelsior trike ~ new updated pics

OK... update... I got a bunch more work done on the trike.
I welded together a nice little rack on the back to hold the vintage cooler,
made some fender brackets, altered some new wald 24" balloon fenders,
got it all together and put on a big ol' ding dong bell on the handlebars :D
More things in the works... updates as I get more stuff done.
trikeandboat007.jpg

trikeandboat002-1.jpg

trikeandboat005.jpg

trikeandboat003.jpg

SHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!
I have looking for a good deal on some old coolers for that same purpose. They don't come cheap and that is a fairly big one you found.
I love this ride!!

That's right Kingfish, I paid more for the cooler than I did for the bike! It seems to be a pretty standard size though... 22" wide, but I had to dish the wheels about 3/4" out to give the cooler some room. I gat about 1/8" between the cooler and the fenders :lol:

Re: 1950 Schwinn Excelsior trike ~ one step further

A little more work done... I didn't think the rear end looked quite right, so I'm adding a little step. I'm probably gonna fill it in with aluminum to match the cooler or a dark stained wood. I haven't made up my mind just yet.
003-3-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

That trike is awesome! Skipton says I should stop by your shop on my way home from Jackson Mich. next weekend. Where are you located? Menards ore Ace around us have the embossed alum like the cooler.

Back