1949 Hawthorne?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
After a lot of research I think I've found that this is a '49 Ward Hawthorne. My question is, is it worth more to part it out, restore it to running order and find the replacement original parts, completely restore to factory new. What would be the value ranges for these options?
Let me know your thoughts! Thanks

Hiya There, Shaun.. Let me see if I can answer some of these questions with level headed answers and a few examples.

You have a late 40's stepthrough, Its by a decent made brand. Not the BEST, but a Quality bike overall. Everything aside from maybe the tube and tire look to be right from the pictures I can discern. [A full scale chain-side photo would help a lot. Little photos mean little detail.

The tank is attached, which is often your hardest part to source correctly outside a rack or Guard., maybe a fender light if it had one.
It looks to be 2/3rds there and whats missing isnt TOO costly, as it happens.

You need a front fender, that'll run you 15-45 depending on style, struts.. condition and of course how kind your seller is.
Front wheels are easy given lack of hardware and moving parts. 20-65 for the wheel, again..condition.. correctness..etc..etc.
Probably DID have a Delta or something of the like on the Front fender, which can be hard to source, but can be faked with class for under 30 bucks

[LED or Bulb, no matter and with the LED style lights, Id confer with member "CycleSavage"]

All in all to get it LOOKING right and Riding., maybe 50, maybe 150. Depends how patient you are to source, how accurate you want it and of course condition is everything when buying Old.

If you bring it back to CHERRY, Id talk with Steven Hickey,. whoms Username slips my mind at this time. Guy does Immaculate Restores back to Mint., hes even got plenty of examples. ;) Id assume it'd cost around 300 to make it shine like factory again.,Powercoating.. clear coats.. correct parts.. polish..

Its in my best to keep whats mostly together, complete., if it lacks too much or the parts are just too hard to source for a project that wasnt worth half the rebuild., I might Fold.

Ill always try to make my projects riders before piecing them out., but its like many will tell you here, You cant keep them all OG or we'd never have some of the WICKED cool Rats we have here.
If you slap on the new front, give it a little oil and love.. I think you'll find parting it to be difficult iffin it rides well.
60 bucks could really make this into a great ladies rider, and a good addition to any late 40's, early 50's or Hawthorne collection.

300 to bring back to shop, 60 to ride as it looks., the smiles it'll induce either way? Priceless.

FZ

Thanks for the detailed reply!
So I had gotten a little into it before I had taken the pictures, I have the front fender and rim, no light however. The rims don't seem to be original, but ride-able for the time being. You think it would only be $300 to cherry it? That seems pretty cheap, like extremely cheap!
Do you know off the top of your head what the price range would be (selling) for it in terms of parts, working, cherry?

Again thanks for responding!
Shaun

Uvx4BQ.jpg

I think this bike is late 50's - early 60's. Not really worth much, but still cool. If you want to restore a bike I would keep looking, this one will never be worth what you'd pay to restore it.

"This one will never be worth what you pay to restore it"

I second that., get it running and ride it. ;)

[Upon closer look at the railed troxel, Im sure late 50's is a better assumption as well., though serial numbers do help to narrow it down where possible.]

Back