SWB0 1948 Triumph

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can get that style forks over here fairly easily, but I don't see any of the older style forks for sale in the states.
Maybe soft spot isn’t a good description. The soft part might have been my imagination. Curious spot might be better.

I am wondering it the curious spot could have been caused by this stem being over tightened. Not sure what to call this. Split Quill Stem??

View attachment 258618
I think you are right. I've never seen that on an English fork, I don't think they would use two parts to make a fork tube at the factory. I think it bent right at that spot because the handlebar stem held it rigid where it sat in the fork.

Upon further review, I now think the fork is probably useable. You have a good fork with the red one also, never hurts to have extra bike stuff.

I can get that style forks over here fairly easily, but I don't see any of the older style forks for sale in the states.

I think you are right. I've never seen that on an English fork, I don't think they would use two parts to make a fork tube at the factory. I think it bent right at that spot because the handlebar stem held it rigid where it sat in the fork.

Upon further review, I now think the fork is probably useable. You have a good fork with the red one also, never hurts to have extra bike stuff.
I've actually seen it before but your fingers down in the tube and see if you can feel a clean joint our weild on the inside. Triumph was a lower English brand compared to others. It's a 1948 bike made it 70 years if it's factory odds are it's not going to break

I honestly don’t think it is going to break.

However, I got the replacement fork and am trying to make it work.

IMG_4543.jpeg
IMG_4545.jpeg

Side by side they look close enough. The steerer tube needs to be trimmed.

IMG_4546.jpeg

This is my new challenge! The threads need to be extended. Normal 1in forks are threaded 24tpi. Raleigh has the unusual 26tpi

IMG_4548.png
IMG_4549.png

Do you think the second(less expensive) die would work? I do, but I have never used a threading die.

I hate to buy an expensive tool I may only use once. I can ask around a few local shops.

Then again, I do like buying tools.

Good news. Looks like the Raleigh headset will be mix and match compatible with the triumph.

Pressure is on. We have about 4-5weeks left.

I bought a cheap die off eBay ($10?) for doing 24tpi forks and it works ok. I think you might be ok with the budget one for this project.

Yes get the cheep one, they will work fine. My 24tpi worked fine, and when done they will just lay in a drawer, and maybe not get used again.. Curt

Here is my next problem! I sent this video to a retired frame builder that lives close by to see if he could help. I’m open to any suggestions. It’s hard to explain, thus the video.

Minor update. The retired frame builder responded. He said the upper bearing insert was loose by design. He highly recommends against welding or brazing it in place. He said it was likely designed like that to help out with alignment issues.

He did agree to look at it with me and help find a solution. He has a full machine shop at his house. So, if we need to modify a part, he is the man to help.

Are you going to bring him some "milk and cookies"? ;)

Unfortunately this is a Did Not Finish. My frame builder friend still has the frame at his shop. He is very interested in the project and has some ideas about modifying the headset. We are just out of time.

I will post an update when the bike is complete.

Thanks for following along and congratulations to all that finished!

Unfortunately this is a Did Not Finish. My frame builder friend still has the frame at his shop. He is very interested in the project and has some ideas about modifying the headset. We are just out of time.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

Hey, sometimes it's better to miss a deadline and finish a bike right than to rush it for the sake of the build-off. Sounds like you got a plan to do this Triumph right! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Latest posts

Back