1948 Triumph

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am halfway through this build. Thought you all would appreciate it.

B04C231C-8A3F-4415-A744-E58C3742D712.jpeg
AFA1D6D1-81FD-4B58-BAC3-CA41FE2FDFED.jpeg
30D00BF5-BA16-47DF-8F13-6C5314CC7620.jpeg

This bike had been sitting outside of a local junk store for years. I finally made a lowball offer and bought it for $17

This is my first attempt at rod brakes.

I have already torn the bike apart and am in the process of cleaning and derusting all the bits and pieces.

I tried an OA bath on the rims but they are too far gone.

This Sturmey Archer hub is dated 1948. That’s really all I know about this bike.

There was no clip to take the sprocket off of this hub. The sprocket is threaded on. Apparently there is a special tool to remove the sprocket. I just removed the entire driver which the sprocket is attached to. That was the only way to remove the spokes.
IMG_4134.png

I am looking for opinions on what to do to the frame. So far, I have only given it a very gentle sponge bath. I am afraid the paint may scrub off if I do too much cleaning.

I have been reading a lot of posts on BLO. Boiled Linseed Oil. My question is whether that would be appropriate on this bike? I have read enough how to tutorials, that I think I can do it. Is that the right way to preserve this? How clean does the frame need to be? Can I use BLO on a frame that might still have some dirt or grease in the paint?

I am looking for opinions on what to do to the frame. So far, I have only given it a very gentle sponge bath. I am afraid the paint may scrub off if I do too much cleaning.

I have been reading a lot of posts on BLO. Boiled Linseed Oil. My question is whether that would be appropriate on this bike? I have read enough how to tutorials, that I think I can do it. Is that the right way to preserve this? How clean does the frame need to be? Can I use BLO on a frame that might still have some dirt or grease in the paint?
It is the way to go give it wash, if you want shiny straight linseed if you want to tone the shine cut it with mineral oil rub it on you won't use much let dry. Dirt won't do much but moisture underneath the lindseed will rot. Wash it could you'll save more than you think.
DO NOT put your rags in the garbage can they can light hang to dry

I understand the danger with the rags. (Before this bike addiction I was woodworking)

I am worried about washing off the white lettering “triumph”. I want this to look as old as it is.

Latest posts

Back