1948 Schwinn ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBP

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased this bike today. All original, less the front fenderlight (not sure what that little globe thing is), the rear rack, and the reflectors. Initially thought it was a '49, but the serial number didn't fit the range. Right below the standard serial number, there is a flattened diamond symbol followed by the number 48.

Picture32012001.jpg

Nice old bike with a $40 skip tooth chain!. I've never seen a Schwinn frame with a diamond and separate number stamped on it. Maybe it's the angle of the pic but it looks like your bike has a nice B1 boys seat. Your bike may not have had a rack unless you can see marks on the frame where the clamp was. Gary

B607 said:
Nice old bike with a $40 skip tooth chain!. I've never seen a Schwinn frame with a diamond and separate number stamped on it. Maybe it's the angle of the pic but it looks like your bike has a nice B1 boys seat. Your bike may not have had a rack unless you can see marks on the frame where the clamp was. Gary

Thanks for the info Gary. I made an assumption on the rack, based on a hole on top of the rear fender, and some wear marks. I wasn't sure what else could have been there. Possibly a reflector or rear lamp? It's a mystery.

Thanks again.

Just a month ago I bought a 1950 Schwinn girls ballooner identical to yours,sans the skiptooth set up,but not near as "straight" as yours.
I bought it as a parts bike because it had a decent set of S-2's,feather gaurd,plus I needed the rear end of the frame for the "fire bike " project.It also had that very same men's seat on it.It also has a set of Schwinn tanks that only had the "horn gills" on one side...I thought
that odd as I had never seen that before.Anywho...nice bike...you gonna rat,restore?...anxious to see...P 8)

Pappy said:
Just a month ago I bought a 1950 Schwinn girls ballooner identical to yours,sans the skiptooth set up,but not near as "straight" as yours.
I bought it as a parts bike because it had a decent set of S-2's,feather gaurd,plus I needed the rear end of the frame for the "fire bike " project.It also had that very same men's seat on it.It also has a set of Schwinn tanks that only had the "horn gills" on one side...I thought
that odd as I had never seen that before.Anywho...nice bike...you gonna rat,restore?...anxious to see...P 8)

Thanks Pappy. I'm going to restore this one, along with the '49 DX I picked up a few weeks ago. But for now, I may just slap some new tires on it and ride it "as is."

Would love to see your "fire bike" project. Have you posted any pics?

Thanks again!

Looks a lot like my '54 Wasp but mine's not skiptooth and chain guard is different. Paint and frame are dead on though.

outskirtscustoms said:
Looks a lot like my '54 Wasp but mine's not skiptooth and chain guard is different. Paint and frame are dead on though.

This bike was advertised as a "50s Model Schwinn," so I was kind of surprised when I looked at the serial number. The number is "just outside" of the 1949 FXXXXXX series. The odd diamond symbol followed by the number 48 was a little odd too. I took a picture of the numbers and sent it to a Schwinn archivist. Not sure what they can tell me.

Either way... what do you make of the odd "globe" thing on the front fender? The base is chrome and it's embossed with the word "Lights." It was attached with a single nut/bolt. I know it isn't supposed to be there, but was just curious about it.

No...I haven't posted any pics yet although I have taken some.The story starts with our old pal & good friend...John Sills.He's driving down a country road,one day,sees a local's "trash"fire and notices a bike in it.He pulls over & rescues a 1950 Schwinn D-15 straightbar & brings it home.It sets in his backyard a spell (I don't remember how long) til I happen to weedle him out of a nicely patina'd 1949 D-15.To wit, John said "Here you might as well take this one too"...meaning the '50..."If anyone can do anything with this 'ol bird,it would be you,Pappy"
So I've got most of it apart but the rear stays are badly warped,especially the right side,so after conferring with John,Marty (10-18 Kustoms) and several other friends its been decided to do a transplant rather than trying to straighten out the warped original...which brings us,full circle,back to my original comment on your bike.I do apologize for taking up so much space on your thread...but you asked! (LOL).I will add that I plan to use the '49's frame to build a jig to get the '50 all lined up right as it has some braze loss at other spots as well...I should start a "Build" thread w/pics soon...P 8)

What an awesome story Pappy! No need to apologize for taking up room. I really appreciate all of your info and stories! I have to admit, I'm new to all of this so the more I read and see, the more I learn and grow! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to follow your "build" thread! :D

OK...MBP...you lit the fire under me,check out my thread in "BUILDS" titled "PHOENIX aka the Fire Bike" and tell me what you think...P 8)

Back