1948 CWC Luxury Liner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I picked up this 1948 Cleveland Welding Company Luxury Liner this past October. It came from the estate of the original owner. Real dusty, missing pedals, torn up seat cover, but pretty much all there and very straight. Over the past 3 weeks I set about to restore/preserve it. Lots of washing and polishing of everything. The frame was pretty bad off and needed to be repainted. The big challenge turned out to be a bent crank. It took some effort, but I got it straightened back out. I'm especially proud of the seat. It came out really nice. I covered it in real leather and converted the seat to accept a crash bar. The only pieces on the bike that are new/non-original are the tubes, rim strips, and Persons Supreme pedals. So far it is proving to be a great rider! :D

Where it started:

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/carbinekid/media/CWC Luxury Liner/19_zps478d939e.jpg.html

And where it finished:

luxuryliner1_zps4e04d164-1.jpg

luxuryliner3_zps09402613-1.jpg

luxuryliner5_zpsd6bbf73a-1.jpg

luxuryliner6_zpse1d5009e-1.jpg

luxuryliner9_zpscc7651f9-1.jpg

luxuryliner8_zps4e72d569.jpg

Thanks guys. When I finally assembled it as a final product and took those last pictures, I must say I felt pretty proud. I felt even better when I realized how nice it rides.

All I need really is to find a replacement horn unit. The original looked pristine other than being corroded nearly in half from leaking batteries. That is really a bummer. The corroded battery tray pretty much crumbled in my hands when I removed it from the tank. I salvaged the good front section by cutting off the back half. So it looks as though a horn is installed but it is only the front half with no battery tray or rear contact.

Back