1942 Columbia Sports Tourist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So Columbia made a fillet brazed lightweight. I just had to have it. Maybe I'm the only one out there who loves these early diamond frame american bikes. It seems like most people sell the hubs and the chains to the ballooner guys and throw them away. The Amish look really turns me on.
It was advertised for a lot of money a while back and I ignored it. Then the guy threatened to part it out. The first responder said "how much for the hub?" It was a rare New Departure 2 speed blackout. I said How much for the tires (thinking of my '42 Roadmaster, 26x1.375 is an impossible to find size). Then I though better and asked how much for everything but the rear hub.
I guess he got a really good price for the hub because he let me have the leftovers for a song. Maybe he didn't feel like parting it out. Anyway, I stole the New Departure 1 speed blackout hub from my Roadmaster (does that make me one of them?) and spent some time lacing and cleaning.
I finally got it out for a quick ride around the parking lot yesterday (I ride there with the girls. It's small but safe.) These coaster brake jobs are just the thing for riding with the kids. It wasn't a long ride, we had to stop for a tantrum. But I got a decent feel for it. It's a lot like the Roadmaster. Heavy but it likes to roll. I've heard that the old Trek Antelopes are like this. It's a feel that I'm really starting to like. Maybe it's the laid back angles.

Ok, picture time;
IMG_9192.jpg
IMG_9197.jpg
IMG_9196.jpg
They didn't even chrome the headbadge;
IMG_9193.jpg
IMG_9209.jpg

I love the shape of these fenders;;
IMG_9206.jpg
IMG_9199.jpg

Maybe not finished to Schwinn World standards but heck, there's a war going on;
IMG_9202.jpg
IMG_9203.jpg

I think they call this a "Parkerized" finish on the headset.
IMG_9204.jpg

Genuine Goodyear 599s;
IMG_9194.jpg

red on the inside;
IMG_9189.jpg

Of course the real reason we build our own wheels is so we can really polish our hubs;
IMG_9179.jpg
IMG_9209.jpg
IMG_9201.jpg
IMG_9208.jpg

The chainguard might be a replacement. In some light it looks like paint over chrome. I think it's the original style, though.

Cool bike! :D I tried to buy an original 42' Sports Tourist but the guy would not sell it :cry: This bike also didn't have any chrome because it was built during the war :wink:

Latest posts

Back