1941 Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is the beginning of my new build....... I'm starting off with a 1941 Western Flyer frame I got at the Englishtown swap meet for $20. The fork was bent pretty bad and I decided not to use it at this time. The wheels came with my Columbia when I got it and they were just finished up today. For you Mopar guys, that's sublime green on the hoops and sprocket. The frame will be flat black. It will have the original front hub and a Sturmey Archer
3-speed coaster brake rear hub and a skip tooth chain.
IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Now some questions for you guys who have done this before. I do not have the proper skip tooth sprocket for the hub. The sprocket has a odd number of teeth so I can't even grind off every other tooth. What could I do? Can I get a skip tooth sprocket for this hub? Or can I get a sprocket with an even number of teeth and grind off every other one? Does anyone here have what I need??????

well.....karfers used a nonskip(ground every other off) hub with a skip chain(see his lucky7 post)and had no problems id try just swapping out the cog on the hub to one with and even # and just removing every other tooth
what kind of hub is it btw?

Kustom Kreator said:
Well this is the beginning of my new build....... I'm starting off with a 1941 Western Flyer frame I got at the Englishtown swap meet for $20. The fork was bent pretty bad and I decided not to use it at this time. The wheels came with my Columbia when I got it and they were just finished up today. For you Mopar guys, that's sublime green on the hoops and sprocket. The frame will be flat black. It will have the original front hub and a Sturmey Archer
3-speed coaster brake rear hub and a skip tooth chain.
IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg
Those people in the background are keeping a safe distance as if their frightened! :lol: Cool frame.

That's good news sensor. Hopefully Karfer will see this and reply also. I managed to pick up a 18T sprocket at the lbs today to experiment with. That's my wife and Daughter in the background. They always give me weird looks when I bring home more "junk". I'm sure NONE of you have seen this look before huh? :wink:

Kustom Kreator said:
That's my wife and Daughter in the background. They always give me weird looks when I bring home more "junk". I'm sure NONE of you have seen this look before huh? :wink:

They're probably thinking "I bet if we got him a smaller truck he couldn't bring home as many bikes".

I've been busy with other stuff lately but I got a little done on the bike today. I put the springer together and mounted the front wheel.
IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

The Problem.............

What can I do to fix this? Should do "Option 1" and I get some of those fancy spacers from lickbike? Or should do "Option 2" and cut down the steer tube and re-thread it? I'm afraid that "Option 2" will effect the struts by rendering them too long. Of course the fork was from a girls bike. The rear wheel is at the LBS because the S/A 3 speed hub doesn't want to turn. Hopefully that will be back this week!
IMG_0961.jpg

Re: The Problem.............

Kustom Kreator said:
What can I do to fix this? Should do "Option 1" and I get some of those fancy spacers from lickbike? Or should do "Option 2" and cut down the steer tube and re-thread it? I'm afraid that "Option 2" will effect the struts by rendering them too long. Of course the fork was from a girls bike. The rear wheel is at the LBS because the S/A 3 speed hub doesn't want to turn. Hopefully that will be back this week!
IMG_0961.jpg

Just extend the thread and install some spacers between the top race and the top nut. A length of black painted or chrome plated tubing used as a spacer might look cool. Loving the springer.

Yeah I guess even if I use spacers I still have to thread it down farther so the bearing race will be down on the bearings. So then the spacers would go on top of that, right? Then the original top jam nut? Sounds right. I guess the key here is getting the proper die for the threads. My bud Magic Rat told me there's a local speed shop that sells bikes and the guy has the die. I'll have to give him a call. Here's alink to the spacers. http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp ... ='1008-50'
Oh and thanks, I'm lovin the green too!

you can cut down the steer tube and rethread it but youll also have to cut the truss rods down also and rethread them also(if you go this route they might need a slight rolling over your knee to get the arch right again but nothing major)...just depends on how clean you want it to look(ohhhh! blaster had this problem on his build off bike... his idea might help you also)
looks great so far and looking forward to seeing her done :mrgreen:

Kustom Kreator said:
Yeah I guess even if I use spacers I still have to thread it down farther so the bearing race will be down on the bearings. So then the spacers would go on top of that, right? Then the original top jam nut? Sounds right. I guess the key here is getting the proper die for the threads. My bud Magic Rat told me there's a local speed shop that sells bikes and the guy has the die. I'll have to give him a call. Here's alink to the spacers. http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp ... ='1008-50'
Oh and thanks, I'm lovin the green too!

Them's the ones. If you do some hunting you can find them in all the anodised colours of the rainbow and also in black or white carbon fibre weave, though I'm not sure carbon fibre has any place on a rat!.

You do need a proper die and it needs to be sharp, nothing worse than getting a blunt die half way down a thread to find it wont back off without taking the threads with it!

Those black spacers could be etched or engraved to bring out the silver aluminum underneath......

I got some really bad news today. It seems the hub is shot! When the LBS owner took it apart the first thing he saw was rust and alot of it. Then all the broken little parts fell out and some parts are so rusted it won't even come apart the rest of the way. Sooooo, does anyone have a "good" Sturmey Archer 3 speed 36 hole coaster brake hub they would part with for a fair price????? I feel so dumb after this one. I bought that hub off of the internet a few years ago and never checked it. Now I can't even remember who I bought it from.

dude, let me check, i think i got one.i'll have time thur. afternoon. will get back to ya.

Outlaw 8)

Back