1941 Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that yesterday sensor. I have one person "yeshoney" who replied tonight and he has a few shimano 333 hubs but I'm not sure how these compare. If they're just as good I'm fine with it.

If you could let me know sooner outlaw I'd appreciate it, I don't want to keep "yeshoney" waiting.

Cool! I love those springers and have one on my own Hawthorne. Unlike most of the other springers I've had, this one seems to do something... if you've never had one before, I think you'll be impressed. My bike just floats with one of these up front.

http://i43.tinypic.com/11qk12p.jpg

Great colors!

Thanks for the comments guys. I want it done too Borlax. Tell ya what, you find me a nice S/A 3 speed cb hub in good working condition and I'll finish this bike right quick!

if you can cut and weld pretty good, you can cut the steer tube in the middle, take out the excess, and weld it back together! i did a practice run first, and then did the real deal. oh and a tip if you decide to do it, use a flat file and some clamps to hold it together, to make sure its flat and straight. then tack, remove the clamps and weld it up. of course you'll have to grind the weld smooth to make it fit, but it works! :D just my $.02. i like fabricating so i didnt mind the work.

The front end is pretty much done. I threaded the steer tube and got some of those spacers and it's going to work perfect. Everything lines up and no bending of the strut rods is needed. The only thing holding me up really is the 3 speed hub. Anybody got a S/A 3 speed coaster brake hub to would sell me?

oh Stretch, I did do that once but I did it the opposite way. Instead of taking out length in the steer tube I added about a foot and a half. Made myself a tall bike.
DSC00066.jpg

Hey Kustom Kreator,

I'm just now remembering some fork bending advice a friend gave me. If you don't mind playing with the original forks and an old frame, I've heard you can straighten them this way: put them in a stripped-of-parts frame using the proper adjuster nuts, bearings, cups etc. Bolt the fork to a wheel you don't care about, (tightly), get the wheel spinning backwards at a good speed, then half hurl the whole assembly, wheel first, into and upwards against a tree trunk. :D He said he did it as a kid all the time and it worked mint, I've never tried it and may soon just to see. Just thought I'd toss this out there in case you wanted to attempt to straighten the original fork. I love the way the bike has come out so far.

I just made a deal with Mark (2manybikes) for a S/A hub so I'm stoked about that! Thanks Mark!

Unchained,
That sounds pretty primative! LOL My lbs owner once showed me a tool he has for straightening forks. It's pretty cool. It fastens to the fork legs by the dropouts just like your wheel would do. Then it has an old style bumper jack(honest!) between that and a piece that attaches to the bottom bracket somehow, kind of hooks around it and pushes against it. Just hook it up, and crank up the jack until the fork is straight. This was a professional tool and not some backyard homemade thing.

Well, I figure it's about time I updated this thread since the bike is pretty much done. Unchained, I have an issue with the springer and I hope you can help me out by answering some questions since it appears you have the same fork. Here are some pictures. Oh and thanks to Magicrat for helping me finish it up as I was having trouble timewise.

100_0284.jpg

100_0285.jpg

100_0286.jpg

100_0287.jpg

100_0288.jpg

Bike shops should have a tool to thread the fork tube like that.

Usually doesn't cost that much either.

The bike is looking great!

Hey Kustom, is your front wheel just rideing on the axle for the spinger action? or do you have something that glides in the elonggated hole? I only ask because i put the same fork on my build off bike and i had to make bushings to go over the axle to get the springer to spring.
aug09014.jpg

Back