1941? DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this yesterday. I'm pretty excited to get it cleaned up and ready to ride this spring! Vin #H81672. Am I right in saying one of the only ways to find out what year it was manufactured is to pull the crank?

photo2-4.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

photo4.jpg

Nice bike....Are you sure on the year? I know Schwinn used "H" numbers in '51. Looks like you have the non-integrated kickstand, so that is a pre-war indicator. I can't see the drops in the pic, but assuming they are rear facing, then you def have a pre-war frame.

I am not sure about using the crank as an ID. I am not even close to a Schwinn expert, but if your bike is a pre-war model, I am pretty sure it should have a skip tooth chainring...I am not familiar with the chainring you posted on a Schwinn....but again I am FAR from an expert. I have seen the clover ring and also the heart ring. I don't think that is the original ring/crank for a 40s Schwinn.

I picked up a '46 DX base model (no tank, no light, no trusses, etc) with a Bxxxxx serial number a few weeks back. I completely tore it down, cleaned the hubs, cranks, regreased all the bearings and rebuilt the rear hub. I cleaned up the paint which is faded and has a few marks, but overall it is a nice old bike. I am waiting on some correct grips and seat. It rides like a dream!

I want another DX but all decked out with parts. I could add them to mine, but I really like the simple look on it..

Here is the pic the day I got it...

46schwinn.jpg

Looks like a '41 to me. The sprocket was used on higher end Schwinns, even before the war so it most definitely could be original equipment on this bike. Paint looks good and you've got a good start to a project. Stem and bars are correct, wheels look correct and in nice shape. The only tough part is going to be finding a front fender in the same condition. At least boys and girls fenders are the same so it's not impossible.

ohdeebee said:
The only tough part is going to be finding a front fender in the same condition. At least boys and girls fenders are the same so it's not impossible.

I actually have the front fender just have not put it on yet. In the picture the rear is just laying on the tire. Thanks for the info. I think the only thing I don't have is the seat.

layflat78 said:
Oh, also looking for a chain guard. Anybody have a line on one?

I've got a '41 guard. Kinda crusty in red with BFG decal.

outskirtscustoms said:
How do you guys find these bikes with nice looking original paint?
I lucked out on this bike. Just happened to find me. Your in Kokomo....we should met up sometime, I'm in Lafayette.

layflat78 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
How do you guys find these bikes with nice looking original paint?
I lucked out on this bike. Just happened to find me. Your in Kokomo....we should met up sometime, I'm in Lafayette.

That'd be cool, I got a few old bikes myself but mostly '50's Schwinns.

Back