1941 Cycle Truck Value?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Trying to work a deal on this cycle truck. What's it worth as is?

00000_hMSvswZolI1_600x450.jpg

I have no clue, but it's cool!

I would do $400 tops if I were buying it for myself.

I valued it myself at around $1000 as it sets. Here's what a member of thecabe responded with.

Prewar cycle truck bring the money. Of course I don't plan to pay near full retail.

looneymatthew;321771 said:
in a strong market. its pretty complete/ prewar
but looks to have been possibly repainted . some bumbs/dents. but still pretty complete 1000.00 to 1500.00 range.
the basket was the deal maker. but now with almost perfect repop baskets on the market. hard to tell the difference. the market has gone side ways. still has all the good prewar parts though. ... AS long stem gooseneck// dropcenters// fenders // basket
. they seem to be comeing in waves. the best ones// or ones that comand the highest price are complete unmolested orig. paint .and finish. ive been watching the CT world for the last several years fairly closeley. this is just based on my observations.
the numbers i specified are retail numbers . and they always vary based on condition/appeal .

a good purchase price would be in the 500- 800 range as a start. if you have to have it you can always come up to the retail end of the nscale. unfortunately like all sought after bikes its worth more in parts. sadly////
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DEALINGS

looney

I would go along with what looney is saying. Just shootin from the hip.

As for that bike, I would love to add a CT to the shed. I would probably offer more on a cleaner bike with no intentions on flipping it myself. Just not starving for one and would look at it as more of a small project bike. Would spend double for one that just needed cleaned up, not expecting mint or overly restored though.

He is spot on about the basket though, If it had the large wrap around I would kick it up a notch most likely.

I would do $400 tops if I were buying it for myself.

I'm a "leave plenty of room guy" when I buy. I tend to agree with CCR $400-$550 in the present condition. Granted I loose one now and then thinking this way, but there's room to play once the bike is yours. Just a thought!

Granted, this thinking changes if I really want it bad for myself!!

We all would love to buy that cheap, but it's a bike that, as it sits now, would bring $800 pretty quickly if offered online. A patient seller could top a grand.

I had a member offer to sell me one for $700 and it was a good bit nicer than this one. Still regret not buying it. It was either the truck or a complete Firestone SuperCruiser for $400. Didn't have the cash for both!

The basket is a huge plus. Back wheel doesn't "look" heavy duty enough to be the original, but its hard to tell in the pic. Chainguard shouldn't be tough. Seriously, I think I'd offer $700 and see where it goes. At over $800, I'd be willing to wait on a better deal unless you really want one now.

I think it's funny how everyone approaches this from a "how much would I pay for it" standpoint, rather than asking themselves "how much would I try to sell it for?"

I suspect that much of the vintage bike buying/selling game is flippers buying from, and selling to, other flippers. Thus, creating the illusion of demand, and the reality of higher prices to go along with it.

I think it's funny how everyone approaches this from a "how much would I pay for it" standpoint, rather than asking themselves "how much would I try to sell it for?"

I suspect that much of the vintage bike buying/selling game is flippers buying from, and selling to, other flippers. Thus, creating the illusion of demand, and the reality of higher prices to go along with it.

Honestly, I have never bought a bike or parts for the purpose of flipping. I have bought projects because I needed something and then sold the rest, but I never consider how much could I make. I look at it like if I can buy it cheap enough, I can buy something else!

It is a hard question to judge where a persons answer comes from. Here's what I'm thinking.

If I bought it for $400 I'm guessing I'll spend another $100-200 making it rideable, plus time cleaning and overhauling stuff. If it came time to move on I'd ask $800, be happy with $700. I would sell it to friends for what I had in it though or try to trade for something comparable. If I stuck it on ebay I would hope for $800-1000 myself, especially since breaking it down and shipping would come into play. Shipping something that big is little involved when time is in short supply.

This totally disregards complete restorations and nice condition originals though.
Opinion just based of the bike in the pic.

Anymore I just like to get a cool old bike to say "I had one of those" and move on. I consider myself doing well in this hobby when I can keep myself busy having fun and afford to go to a nice dinner out once in a while.

Sooo!

Picked it up last night.
I paid $600 for the cycle truck and $50 for an all original 1930's Colson tricycle in great shape.

After pulling everything apart....It is indeed the original color and the rear wheel is correct(very heavy duty). All the chrome with shine up and the paint will look great with a nice cleaning.

Looks to be a 1940 with the "f" in the serial number.

Pictures soon

Cool, good pick up! We all like it, just some dance around the barn more then others. Right-one-two-Left-one-two:dance2:

Congrats on the score!!! Sweet headbadge!

well since i really dig these cycle trucks i would go upwards of 800 for such abike.
but their value i think around 400 if i had it in my shop and decided to part with it that's where i would start with it.
thees cycletrucks are beyond cool i am trying to get a complete one eventually.
Sean

Latest posts

Back