1940's Hiawatha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lady flagged me down the other day, told me she knew I rebuilt bikes, and had one she would like to sell me. I stopped by a couple weeks later (last night), and bought it. She said she got it new in 1944-45 when she was eight, and wanted it out of her shed. the bike is physically in good shape, although I haven't taken the tank apart to see how much damage has been done by the batteries. I don't usually go for girls bikes, but this one was too nice to turn down. The serial number is D30121, and has a "C" with a little "W" inside it. I assume this means Cleveland Welding? Anyhoo, another project. I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever get caught up!
IMG_0193-1.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195-1.jpg

IMG_0196-1.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198-1.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

One of the things I curious about, is the interesting location of the brake arm. Hmmmm...

That is one sweet old lady! Complete & with some awesome parts on it! I'd keep it too!

I absolutely hate girls bikes. :x That bike, though, is worth a total restoration in my opinion. What a tank. And that light is too much. Kudos to the old lady that directed it to a bike guy instead of the landfill. Gary

I am really not that much into girls bikes either, but since this one has a history I will go ahead and rebuild it... eventually. I thought it might cost an arm too, she said make an offer ( I hate it when they do that ), so I offered fifty bucks. As for my thumb......Ain't it beautiful?.... When will they figure out that where you hold the phone is NOT a good place to locate the lens?!! I will try to remember to post pictures when its turn to be rebuilt comes. Ratina, I would indeed be interested in the year if you please? I will also keep you in mind should I decide I am ready to part with her. Thanks guys!

Nice find, you never know you might find a wad of cash in the bike tank when you open it up. I have heard of people finding cash inside handlebars under the grips, in old bike tanks, and old headlights. So far my best score was a penny in a bottom bracket. :lol:

Iron Horse said:
I am really not that much into girls bikes either, but since this one has a history I will go ahead and rebuild it... eventually. I thought it might cost an arm too, she said make an offer ( I hate it when they do that ), so I offered fifty bucks. As for my thumb......Ain't it beautiful?.... When will they figure out that where you hold the phone is NOT a good place to locate the lens?!! I will try to remember to post pictures when its turn to be rebuilt comes. Ratina, I would indeed be interested in the year if you please? I will also keep you in mind should I decide I am ready to part with her. Thanks guys!

I checked my chart and its a 1948. She was a couple of years off.

Back