1940 Shelby-built Hiawatha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is a 1940 Hiawatha built for Gambles dept store by Shelby on their top-of-the-line Airflo frame. All wishbone style frames through 41 at least were called Airflo in Shelby nomenclature. This scimitar style top tube configuration came out in 40 and lasted only through 41 I think.

No nice bikes were destroyed in the process; this came to me with no guard, aftermarket fenders, and bent about everywhere one can get bent. I am not a fan of this weathered-to-brown look, but I know some are, so I did not paint it. What you see is what remans of the original finish.

The rims and spokes came from a 46 Schwinn. I use them here because the color and condition coordinates well. I built the wheels with a contemporaneous dated 1940 Morrow rear hub and New Departure Model W front hub. The tires are John's US Royal chain tread reproductions.

The drivetrain is the original 26T chainwheel, a Schwinn crank because it has a 7in throw, and my standard 9T rear cog. I picked out an appropriately brown chain from the inventory.

These pedals are Japanese I think, very smooth, precise, and tough.

The seat for now is my old faithful, a 50's Troxel.

The stem is an unidentified prewar item that seems to look right. I took the headbage off because I first thought I would be painting it. "Act in haste - repent at leisure."

This is a pre-war Miller kickstand, which seems to be about the only kind I can tolerate.

I am looking for a more vintage-appropriate seat, and still experimenting with handlebars. This one rides very, very nicely. :)

Last edited:
You may not be a fan of the 'weathered to brown look' yet you certainly nailed 'The Look' with this build by using similarily experienced parts and ended up with a 'very, very nicely riding rat' in the process
...and you can lock it to a bike stand or lay it down without damaging the paint! Cool Build. On to the next:thumbsup:

I couldn't stand the crappy pictures I posted the first time, so I re-took and re-posted most of them... :grin:

Wow...I am not a huge fan of brown with white either but...boy....the bike looks right on. :thumbsup:
The wheels, tires, everything comes together real good. Wouldn't change a thing.

Awesome build, the reproduction US Royal tires really pull it all together.
Kenny

I love that frame....Beee-you-ti-full!!!
Everyone should have one...
4b7d5195-34d8-4c3f-b64f-2e40fdf5c669_zps39dc807f.jpg

f1dde80a-e54d-41a3-a29f-4870de6add97_zps90e8f178.jpg

Back