1937 Rollfast project bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys, I just picked this ratty thing up from a friend over the weekend for 25 bucks. Here I go again getting myself into another project! Anyway I need some help with this. I have a vision in my head for it, but I'm not 100% sure about parts. Also I know identifying the year and model of rollfast bikes isn't easy. It says 1937 on a tag tied to the frame but I can't be 100% sure. I attached a pic of the serial if anyone could help decode it.
abe9a4a7.jpg

a4a7a7e4.jpg

e2egepyg.jpg

vy4utuqy.jpg

I want a tank for it but I know they are not easy to come by. I've heard tell that more companies than just rollfast used this frame so I was curious as to what other tanks may fit it. Or maybe it would be easier to just fabricate one
I also got a Carlisle lightning ww with it that I may use if I can find a another to match. If anyone has one please let me know. :cool:
u9u9u2ys.jpg

devajyty.jpg

I have a modern wheelset I plan on using so using the original skiptooth sprocket is out of the question. Did these come with sweetheart sprockets later on? I found a repop sweetheart geared for modern chain online and may use that.
A friend of mine is giving me an old Murray double spring springer fork for it.
I'm kind of excited about this one. I can't wait to get started on her. I will have a build thread for it once I figure out a name and where to start!

Also any help or leads on parts or info is appreciated! :)

I wasnt sure if that could be done. It seemed like the sprocket was integrated into the hub somehow. The wheel and hub are from a jc Higgins. I will take a closer look at it.

Cool looking frame. Haven't seen one of those before. Looks like a cross between a Zep/Fastback and a Motorbike frame. Precursor to the Fastback? Nice score, good luck hunting down parts. Be sure to post the build.
Johnny

7emytemu.jpg

Hopefully this posts...looks like a 37 model v-700 motorbike frame

I have a rollfast ref book. If you can post a better straight on angled pic I will check the book

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

7emytemu.jpg

Hopefully this posts...looks like a 37 model v-700 motorbike frame

I have a rollfast ref book. If you can post a better straight on angled pic I will check the book

Wow thanks! This is really helpful! I will try to take a better pic tomorrow. You want an angle similar to the pic in your book?

Revo that would be good. And one straight on sideways if you can.

So I took a look through the whole book and I think, to me, it looks most similar to the Tudor motorbike deluxe

e2upa9ym.jpg
y8yhunun.jpg
e9u9u5yr.jpg

The reason I say that is because the angle of the back triangle is quite steep and the camelback to straight bar ratio as it nears the stem gets wider as it does in the Tudor version. Finally the Tudor stem is smooth, assuming this is the correct stem, where the others are winged and more art deco.

I added 3 close pix so you can decide for yourself.

Hope this helps.

So I took a look through the whole book and I think, to me, it looks most similar to the Tudor motorbike deluxe

e2upa9ym.jpg
y8yhunun.jpg
e9u9u5yr.jpg

The reason I say that is because the angle of the back triangle is quite steep and the camelback to straight bar ratio as it nears the stem gets wider as it does in the Tudor version. Finally the Tudor stem is smooth, assuming this is the correct stem, where the others are winged and more art deco.

I added 3 close pix so you can decide for yourself.

Hope this helps.

It's a Schwinn stem that was on it. The friend I bought it from had ape bars and the springer off a stingray on it. He said he would dig around and try to find some more parts for it.

I see what you mean about the upper bars. I will have to agree with you. That's really really close to the frame. The only thing I see is the sprocket that came with mine is a 5H and the Tudor seems different? Could just be a fluke or that the one that came with my frame isn't what it was born with. Given the state of it I would believe anything.

Thank you motu! Now I know what to best base this build off of. It also looks like finding that rack or one like will be easier than one from a standard motorbike. I've tracked down a few parts I want to use already. I plan on using a ladies chain guard from that era since I think they look nicer. I'm also gonna build a tank for it. I found a few online and they are all 150 plus for a beat up one.

~Ron~

No problem revo. I have 3 rollfast and I can't match the sprocket on any of them with the pix.

Back