1936? Hawthorne and a Ladies Dayton

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a couple of bikes to fix up for my Mom and Dad. My Dad said something a while back about wanting a 1937 bicycle so I put the word out and ended up with what you see below. I also figured since im building up a bike for Dad.... Mom is gonna want one too!

I did PM RMS37 and he took a quick look and said it appears to be a 1936, Maybe a Hawthorne? Not a Zep though. It has a unique collet style seat post. It also has a hodge podge of different parts on it, the crank and chainring is wrong, handlebars and stem are probably wrong too, Wheelset is J.C. Higgins. Wrong seat. I think the fenders and braces are original? It has a Carlisle Lightning rear tire and a Davis Deluxe front tire, I think both are pretty dry rotted and probably not safe to ride on.

My plans for both... blast and repaint, and hopefully duplicate the original graphics, rebuild the wheels, new tires, replace what I can afford to replace, and turn them both into a nice rider, not necessarily restored.

Things I wil be looking for: maybe a chainguard, headbadge, crossbar type of handlebars, maybe a stem, tires, seat, grips, Drop stand, etc.

Any idea if this is really a Hawthorne? it is my understanding that the frame was made by D.P. Harris, could it be a Rollfast?
on to the pics...

001-11.jpg

002-10.jpg

003-10.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-8.jpg

006-9.jpg

007-6.jpg

008-7.jpg

009-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

011-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

Hi! I've included a page from the Wards catalog that depicts pretty much the bike you have pictured. This is the only model they showed with this style frame for 1936. I studied the catalog pages for both 1936 and 1937 - some models including the Zep had tanks in 37'. But using my 4x reading glasses it appears the 1937 models have bolts sticking out of the seat post clamp area whereas the 1936 model has the Collet Style Seat Post you referred to with no bolt showing anywhere. That in addition to the faded paint pattern, fork style and what looks like a slightly flared front fender on the back end I would vote yes on it being a Hawthorne.

I picked up this 1936 CWC this summer and because it has horizontal head badge holes like the Hawthorne instead of the vertical holes like the Roadmaster I was thinking it might be a Hawthorne. But from looking closely while comparing yours I could see many differences that prove to me the Hawthorne is not a CWC frame. The fitting on the seat tube/top tube juncture is not present on the CWC. Also the top tubes are farther apart on the Hawthorne. And of course the seat stays and drop outs are totally different. I may have to pay the professionals to find out how mine was badged.

I think no matter what you do to it it's going to look great. One major thing I noticed when I rode mine that the cross braced handlebars are very narrow and makes the steering more of a challenge to control. You lucked out with your drop stands - the Roadmasters are braced and are mucho expensive to obtain. Just have fun with it and I'm sure your parents will love them.

1936Hawthorne.jpg

311936MWardsHawthorne.jpg

3161936CWC-1.jpg

321936RoadmasterDeluxe-1.jpg

Man I saw a bike at the Hutch swap meet that had the same style of seat post and clamp as the men"s bike in your post. You'll have to for give me, I don't know much about "classic" bikes. The guy who had it told me he had a shop on 3rd street in Hutch. I'm not affiliated with this guy at all, I'm just trying to pass on a possible lead for identifying the bike.

Roadmaster... A BIG thank you for that ad page! that one pic will go a long ways in helping me figure out not only what Ive got.... but what parts I need to scrounge. You said the dropstand might be easy to find? Ive been looking, and so far havent found anything. If you know of one (or any other parts) or can point me in the right direction, please let me know.

I wanted to try and get these done by Christmas, not sure if I can make it, but Im gonna try!

Lowpower... cool man, thanks for the info! Ill have to check into that.

nice find, the boys bike could be Hawthorne, but more likely Rollfast, as I have a original '36 Hawthorne, I will have to look, might have a Hawthorne as well as a Rollfast badge, might have some original Hawthorne tires, will have to look, here is a "36 Hawthorne Motorbike, also have the "sport bike" too,
0107071411-02.jpg
0107071412-00.jpg
0107071403-00.jpg
0107071354-01.jpg
0107071414-00.jpg

sweet finds. Im working on an old 1983 ross right now. Unfortunately it is a girls bike because it was my moms when she was younger. This is more of a restoration project though. I just got done reworking all the bumbs and rust and crud out of the chrome fenders about a week ago, and i am still working on the handle bars, its taking a long time to do because i am also fixing up my old mountain bike. In all i have three bikes in my "mancave". one for spare parts because it got ran ovewr by a two ton car, one mountain bimke and then my 1983 ross.

This has been my thrown-together bar-hopper all summer long. it's a blast to ride. BMX bars and forks, Schwinn tandem wheels with 2 speed yellowband kickback hub. My favorite bike to ride. I thought it was a '36 Hawthorne too from some of the things I've seen around RRB.
cruchedcar018.jpg

mybike1 said:
This has been my thrown-together bar-hopper all summer long. it's a blast to ride. BMX bars and forks, Schwinn tandem wheels with 2 speed yellowband kickback hub. My favorite bike to ride. I thought it was a '36 Hawthorne too from some of the things I've seen around RRB.
cruchedcar018.jpg

Thats awesome!!

olschbp said:
nice find, the boys bike could be Hawthorne, but more likely Rollfast, as I have a original '36 Hawthorne, I will have to look, might have a Hawthorne as well as a Rollfast badge, might have some original Hawthorne tires, will have to look, here is a "36 Hawthorne Motorbike, also have the "sport bike" too,

Im pretty sure its a Hawthorne, the headbadge screws are horizontal rather than vertical for the Rollfast, plus the original graphics scream Hawthorne.

And yeah If you have a Hawthorne headbadge, lemme know since Im still looking.

you better check, Hawthorne, Rollfast, Roamer, Cadet etc, badges, the screws are horizonatal, the seat tube graphics look Rollfast to me do have Rollfast badge, and a Hawthorne one too, cant get pics at moment, maybe in a day or so, if still interested, you can pm me

Ok Ill have to take a closeup pic to show you why I think its Hawthorne.

And I thought the Rollfast screwholes were vertical, but I am probably wrong.

And the reason I say Hawthorne on the graphics, it seems every pic I see of a Rollfast the darts are much different. But I do agree that the seatpost graphics appears to be something other than Hawthorne, but not quite Rollfast either...
Rollfastzep.jpg

Pic of a 36 Rollfast being parted on the Cabe

And like I said, I am interested in the Hawthorne headbadge, just drop me a PM with a price and we'll go from there.

thanks

Maybe it depended on who called in sick that day at the Harris factory? :lol:

I just wish I would have seen that FS post over at the Cabe a couple days ago... that Rollfast above has everything I need! :cry: :cry: :cry: day late and a dollar short.... thats me :roll:

Back