1930s Wards Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This bike was part of my recent multi bike pick this past week. It was this bike that sent me on a frenzy to get this pick.
Possibly a 36-37' Wards Hawthorne.

This is a survivor and appears to be unmolested. Not a deluxe model with the chainguard, fender light and rear rack but still a great patina'd looking men's prewar bike.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And pretty cool add on kickstand, it was mentioned that this may be a "jiffy" stand. possibly added or replacing the drop kick. as the clip is still mounted on the rear fender.

attachment.php

really cool signal pedals....if for some reason this bike leaves the stable these pedals are staying with me.

attachment.php

arpicker said:
Those pedals are sweet!! Let me know if you want rid of them :D
Nice find btw!!

Thanks.
The pedals are probably the best part of the bike. If the bike goes then the pedals are staying.

jd...I think you may have a CWC built Zep. The chain ring looks like an early version of a Roadmaster which I believe was CWC's "house" brand. Any & everyone please correct me if I'm wrong but that is my understanding. At any rate,a wonderful bicycle and a major score for you my friend...Pappy 8)

RatSphinx said:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67680&hilit=+Zep
One of us has the sprocket on backwards?

683.jpg

I got the bike in a package deal but, the pedals price is priceless to me at the moment....not sure what they would be priced at...if you're asking how much the bike is worth...$350, is what I would price it at...not selling it though....or at least not yet.

As for the chainring mounting being backwards on one of our examaples, I guess that the teardrop tips ought to rotate clockwise. Meaning mine should be mounted correctly but, someone would need to verify this.
Not having serviced the crank bearings yet, I would need to inspect the inside face of the chainring. The grime on mine facing the outside look untouched. But, who knows. I'm sure it's not difficult to face it the wrong way.

But after some inspection of my picture gallery and my sold 38' girls Hawthorne, the chainring is facing the same way yours is....and as I recall this is how I found the bike. So I guess mine is backwards....interesting.
can Anybody confirm this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

RatSphinx said:
JD,
I was just showing you a pic of my '37 to compare to your bike. I have the same stand on mine as well.

Didn't see the kick stand on yours. Not a drop like on the girls bike I prctured a member (jpromo) thinks the stand is a "Jiffy". Love the flat metal bar for the stand.

I'm still figureing my chainring is backwards. Can't argue with 2 unmolested Hawthornes of the same era.

Have you got a way to decipher the serials and years on these 30's Hawthornes?
I won't tell anyone.

Not sure about the serial numbers. I have a Hawthorn/Elgin Book that came out 20 years ago an just guessed that mine is a '37. I'll do some looking around and see if I can find you some help.

The serial number lists I have just doesn't have the Hawthorne numbers.
I would appreciate some help on the date of this bike.
Y76693
Thanks
JD

Back