1930s Schwinn board tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I'm a little late to the party.

My brain is stuck in a ditch on what rims to get for my new frame I am building. I have Fat Frank white tires, and a special surprise I have figured out for the front end. Kinda retro/deco/moderne/high tech hubs.

But I need to get rims, and I have no clue what could be cool and appropriate.

Anodized aluminum? Too bmx ish
Rusty patina Schwinn S2? too much money
Painted cream S2? might look weird with white tires
Painted Red or camo Green S2? maybe
Panted Black S2? so played out that I can find it at Walmart
Wood painted S2 wheel? maybe....I dont know if I can do it myself, and the rims are $45 each (before any paint) also may be played out.

6882425985_a4a965cc69_b.jpg

I used aluminum Weinmann wheels on my '68 Schwinn Hollywood and I don't think they look bad at all. I laced them to the original hubs though. I still have the original hoops from it (Decent chrome but has a few small spots of rust. I'm not dead sure if they are S-2, S-7, or what. Also have another rusty set from a '56 Schwinn American too. I'll check if either is S-2.

P8240010.jpg

P8050064.jpg

P8050065.jpg

ozzmonaut said:
I think the aluminum would be cool but it kind of depends on what kind of prep or paint you are going with on the frame.

I am going to scrape the loose rust off the frame, and then coat it with phosphoric acid. This will put the T and A in Patina! But seriously, it will end up looking like a rusty blued old gun.

Weinmann doesn't really make as many rims anymore it seems, they were bought by Regina, but fortunately it seems all or most of the rims have been renamed. I bought some "ALEX DX 32" rims for another bike and they are nice, fat, but expensive. Add in $1 per spoke and this stuff get expensive. I think they are the same as your 26 rims, but wider.

A color of paint that looks good with rust may be the direction I go. Does fake wood go with rust? How about an ostrich skin seat cover?

Back