1917/1922 Harley Davidson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more than a little shocked to get the opportunity to own this bike. It's a Harley Davidson, exact year TBD, but we know that they were only made for 5 years: 1917 - 1922. This old fella is missing the head badge (likely scarfed some time in the last 10 years according to the original owner's son) and I believe the pedals are replaced. It is likely it had 29" wood rims originally, and lucky for me, I have an original pair already. The handle bars have a slight bend on the left side, but can be heated and repositioned, as there is no kink or flat spot. There is some surface rust, but nowhere is it even pitted. The stem, crank and bars are in great shape, and should be beautiful once re-chromed. The frame will need a light sandblasting, but no body work. Fenders are so heavy that they didn't dent at all, and only the tail of one fender is going to need time under the hammer and dolly. The chain is fantastic. This guy is going to get a full museum-quality restoration. I'll probably get started on it this winter after I pin-down the exact model year, original paint colors and source the correct pedals.

I purchased this from the son of the original owner. The son was in his early/mid 60's and remembers riding the bike around as a kid, and also remembers his dad riding it often back and forth to town. It came with a 1940's seat, but he was able to find the original seat in the workshop (pictured).

Ideas and recommendations for sourcing the head badge and period pedals is most welcomed!

oct_8057.jpg

oct_8038.jpg

oct_8062.jpg

oct_8035.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm speechless. Beautiful find. Try flea-bay and pray you don't have to sell your first born. I saw that same crank on American pickers valued at $400.

Here's a picture of the original 29er wood hoops I've got to put on them. Just need to trade-out the rear sprocket (which I also have). Rims are in like-new condition -- not bent, out of round, etc. Came out of a relative's basement in the early 1980's when I was first getting into bikes. Had them hanging in my Mom's basement for 25 years before I got into old bicycles -- man, am I glad I hung onto those!

oct_8069.jpg

oct_8072.jpg

I also snapped-up an old kerosene lamp that would have been used on this bike after I bought it.

oct_8067.jpg

That bike is AMAZING!! I would love to see one in person, let alone own one!! Good to know it wound up in good hands!! have fun with it!

I’d suggest more research before you go too far with the assumption that this bicycle is a Harley Davidson bicycle. The 1917-1922 Harley Davidson bicycles were produced by Davis for Harley and while there were many models in the line up with variations, there are several problems with this bike.

Obviously the wheels are balloon and no older than about 1934 and the fenders are also from about 1934-36 and look like they may be Snyder sourced.

The seat, bars and stem are generally period appropriate for a Harley but are generic so there is no proof one way or the other there.

The biggest problem is the frame and fork which should be Davis produced but the integral drop stand ears are not something I have seen on any other Harley or Davis frame and likely mean the frame is newer and not from a Harley bicycle. Viewing the pictures the fork crown also does not look like a period Davis fork to me.

That leaves the sprocket and crank which may be an original HD sprocket that was moved to this bike sometime in the past. It also could be a modern reproduction that has been aged but if you trust the seller’s story then the former is probably the case.

I bring this up because it would be worse to find out the bike is not a Harley after an expensive restoration than now. I also will note that I do not consider myself a Harley or Davis expert so you might put the bike up on the CABE for more studied opinions.

I'd have to say this is right up there with the Elgin Bluebird than Npence found for "Score of the Year" honors.

RMS37, points well noted. I got some feedback from another source that was troubled with the fenders as well -- obvious that they are red, and don't match the frame color. If they were swapped-out, it was obviously a very, very long time ago. I knew the wheels had been upgraded, as was often the case with wood rimmed bikes in this era. Perhaps the owner did a fender swap as well to accommodate the smaller profile (although from the looks of it at a better angle, these look like 29" rims -- will know for sure when I put on the wood hoops).

I don't believe Harley manufactured their own bicycles -- I recall they were made by Singer. And while the photos I posted don't bring-out all the details, there is absolutely no doubt this bike is not an elaborate forgery. The seller was as genuine as they come, the price would not have rewarded anyone for their work, and there is no physical evidence that this bike has ever been deconstructed.

No matter what -- I'm extremely happy with what I've got here. It has beautiful lines and is elegant in its simplicity. As a motorcycle enthusiast, and a bicycle rider/enthusiast, this is a cross-over score for me. When I eventually restore its period components and cosmetic beauty, I'll place it where more folks can enjoy it as much as I do.

"No matter what -- I'm extremely happy with what I've got here. It has beautiful lines and is elegant in its simplicity. As a motorcycle enthusiast, and a bicycle rider/enthusiast, this is a cross-over score for me. When I eventually restore its period components and cosmetic beauty, I'll place it where more folks can enjoy it as much as I do."

Well put. Couldn't have said it any better myself. Cool find no matter the heritage. :D

Clark

"No matter what -- I'm extremely happy with what I've got here. It has beautiful lines and is elegant in its simplicity. As a motorcycle enthusiast, and a bicycle rider/enthusiast, this is a cross-over score for me. When I eventually restore its period components and cosmetic beauty, I'll place it where more folks can enjoy it as much as I do."

I understand what you are saying in this passage but I think from several of the posts in this thread that the ties this bike has or doesn’t have to the Harley Davidson company are important to how it is perceived and valued by many people.

I’ll also say again that I do not consider myself a Harley Davidson expert but what I do know about the 1917-1922 models leads me to believe that beyond the Chainring there may be no true connection to HD. I’m posting this as a bicycle historian so that if anyone is interested in studying further whether or not the bike is a Harley Davidson they can start with what I know.

First. You are correct; as I stated Harley Davidson branded bicycles from 1917 to 1922 were not made by Harley Davidson. To the best of my knowledge, they were all manufactured by the Davis Manufacturing Company, one of America’s largest bicycle manufacturing companies at that time. They were not made by Singer, an English firm.

While HD did not make the bicycles themselves, the bicycles that originally wore the HD badge became a Harley Davidson sanctioned product by the fact that the company purchased them from Davis and had them officially badged as Harley Davidsons for sale though their network of Motorcycle dealers.

The only bicycles from 1917-1922 that are true Harley Davidson bicycles are those bicycles that were originally badged by the company and sold as such. A bicycle assembled today with an identical Davis frame and original components from an original Harley bicycle is a Replica rather than an actual, true Harley Davidson bicycle (making “Harley Davidson” bicycles from Davis frames and reproduction sprockets and head badges is very common in the hobby). One step further from representing a period Harley Davidson bicycle would be a bicycle built along the lines of a Harley Davidson bicycle but with a non-Davis frame and similar but not identical period components. A bicycle constructed as such is probably best referred to as a “Harley Tribute.” Needless to say, a 70’s Honda painted and badged to look like a 20’s Harley will fool some people and not others. A twenties Indian painted and badged to look like a twenties Harley will fool more people but it is still in no way a Harley.

There is nothing “wrong” with any of the above and all exist today in the hobby. The collector market value of each will relate to the provenance of the original Harley specification content. Obviously, there is a grey area which is the zone that counterfeit Harley forgers are aiming for and it behooves any buyer to know as much as possible to avoid being scammed.

Back to your bike.

You are confident that what you have is not an elaborate forgery and I am inclined to agree, as an elaborate forgery it would be more convincing. In all likelihood the seller’s father moved an HD sprocket and perhaps crank onto another frame, which was a common occurrence in the day. The HD Sprocket is cool now and was cool then and cool parts were often swapped out to replace more boring pieces. If the Sprocket and the crank were moved to the bike 50 or more years ago and the bike was used after that there is no reason that the modification would show as a major deconstruction.

The fenders and wheels are definitely not from a bicycle built any earlier than 1933 so it is impossible that they are correct for a 1917-1922 HD bicycle. Your wheels are obviously balloon tires on balloon rims (the tires will be marked 26x2.125 which is a size that was not available until 1933.)

The wheels and fenders are not a problem as that is a common swap to keep earlier 28” single tube bicycles operable after 28” wheel and tires became obsolete.

My main point and the main concern is the frame, it is either an original HD sanctioned frame or it is not. I tend to adhere to the belief that the true identity of any bike is the frame and the bike’s provenance follows that frame. Thus, if this frame is not one of the original frames made and badged for HD then the bike is not a Harley Davidson. If it is an identical frame to a Harley Davidson sanctioned frame (Davis Manufactured) then you have the beginnings of a potential Harley Davidson replica. If, as I believe the frame is not a Harley Frame or even a Davis frame then at best you have a potential start of a Harley Tribute bike built around an original crankset and sprocket.

In the end it doesn’t matter to me if the bike is a true Harley Davidson bicycle or not and it may not to you either. My knowledge of the subject leads me to believe the core bike is not one of the bicycles sanctioned by the company between 1917 and 1922 so I am only responding to note that my research does not back that claim.

Phil (rms37) knows his early bike history, so if anything, I'd say you better do some more research to figure out exactly what you do have.

In the end, it's still a cool bike, but like Phil said, before you pour any money into an expensive restoration you should really make sure it is what you think it is. :wink:

I think I'd be hunting down that original headbadge... somebody has to know who snatched it!
Great bike either way... personaly, I like unrestored bikes, I'd find original parts and forget about it.

Cool bike! Check your frame for a "ghost" of the original head badge. If the shape and hole spacing match you probably have a Harley bike. Also it appears that they had a decal on the top of the down tube that identified the model. I found some pictures on Nostalgic.net and I know I have a vintage magazine ad somewhere. I will try to find it for you.

1920hdbadge.jpg

Boardtrack fan said:
Cool bike! Check your frame for a "ghost" of the original head badge. If the shape and hole spacing match you probably have a Harley bike. Also it appears that they had a decal on the top of the down tube that identified the model. I found some pictures on Nostalgic.net and I know I have a vintage magazine ad somewhere. I will try to find it for you.

1920hdbadge.jpg

. . . rms37 beats head on wall . . .

Latest posts

Back