1915 Sears Chief - The Orange Chief - my new project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one of the top bicycles on my Top 5 wanted list, a 1915 Sears Chief thanks to CABE member Bricycle. Ever since RRB member "backpedaler" brought this bike to the surface in February 2012 (before Bri bought it) I had been wanting to see what's under that orange paint, now I'm getting my chance finally up close & personal. Here's an old pic of the Chief together & packed for shipping to me. This bike like my other early bikes will go back completely original.

DSC02677_zps011d27ae.jpg

DSC02058_zps05a6d3f2.jpg

Here's the first peek under the orange paint, dark red & ivory are still there but there is a good deal of missing paint. The ivory paint looks pretty amazing. The black pinstripes were there but will be lost getting the orange paint off. This orange paint may be the toughest paint I've ever seen. Xylene does absolutely nothing to it so I am having to use lacquer thinner very slowly so getting all the orange off is going to be a long slow careful process. Where I go from here depends on how much paint is there & how it looks. Not worried about the pinstripes they'll be reapplied & distressed to match the original paint for now. I would prefer to leave it original paint, put it back together & ride it, but if not enough paint is still on the bike it'll become a full restoration project which is not my first choice on any bike.

IMG_1948_zps88b97caf.jpg

IMG_1951_zpsd2e3935e.jpg

IMG_1952_zpsc3309743.jpg

IMG_1954_zpsad6ebb91.jpg

Bought the correct Sturmey Archer Tricoaster hub and shifter off ebay a couple of weeks ago so it will go back with the correct hubs. It's a little rough & needs a rebuild but it's all there minus the indicator rod & chain coupling. Came off a 1916 Chief.

IMG_1958_zps9c23d62d.jpg

IMG_1962_zps0155dc42.jpg

Here's two accessories I bought last year waiting for a 1915 Chief to come along. 1915 Vesta Accumulator Light & canister and a 1915 Illinois bicycle license. Finally have something to use them on.

IMG_1398_zps5dcd4856.jpg

IMG_1966_zpsf636eee1.jpg

This bike will get 700c rims and cream Electra Amsterdams, already on order to make it a rider. Front hub will be a New Departure Model M and I already have a NOS one I bought off ebay from nostalgicdave. The only other items that will go on the bike will be leather grips already bought off a teens Westfield in decent condition last year & still need to find a Klaxon horn and maybe one day original Chief pedals. Hopefully I'll get to work on orange paint removal over the weekend.

Looking forward to this one Gary, your builds and documentation are always excellent! 8)

sleepy said:
Looking forward to this one Gary, your builds and documentation are always excellent! 8)

Thanks sleepy. Just hope I keep seeing a lot of red & ivory and a whole lot less orange on this one.

Gary,
Yet ANOTHER antique that will be given new life by you.

It's awesome looking already!

One question though, is that a tiny rug? Because if not, those lights are HUGE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_1398_zps5dcd4856.jpg

Looking forward to riding along on the restoration train with you.. wooo!wooo!

Cheers,
Rob

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Gary,
Yet ANOTHER antique that will be given new life by you.

It's awesome looking already!

One question though, is that a tiny rug? Because if not, those lights are HUGE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to riding along on the restoration train with you.. wooo!wooo!

Cheers,
Rob

Rob, They are HUGE lights, just kidding!!!!!! Rug is my mousepad. I had two "number ones on my short wants list", this and a teens Indian motorbike so one down. Really really happy to get this bike, never thought I'd find one almost complete & original. Also learning my Stutz is almost the same bike as a twenties Indian except headbadge & chainring so I may just be satisfied with the Stutz and the Chief. We need to actually GO RIDING if I can ever get something truly finished!!!!!!! Maybe a "Coasters" ride sometime?????

Found the perfect accessory for this bike, a "Indian" New Departure Bell. Paid WAY too much but figured when would I see another one for sale, especially this nice with perfect patina. This bell was just stunningly beautiful with great features to me.

Nice indian pieces. Did you drive up the highway to Cherokee to get those?

kingfish254 said:
Nice indian pieces. Did you drive up the highway to Cherokee to get those?

Nope, had to do a little time travel to snag these!!!!!!! About ready for a trip in that direction though.

Finally got a correct front hub, New Departure Model M 32 hole without oiler port.

Gary Mc said:
Found the perfect accessory for this bike, a "Indian" New Departure Bell. Paid WAY too much but figured when would I see another one for sale, especially this nice with perfect patina. This bell was just stunningly beautiful with great features to me.

I feel there is usually that one feature on a bike that sets it off from others and is usually worth the extra cost. I think you found it.

Back