1890's Crescent No. 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was offered yet another girls bike for 50 bucks. Hope I did ok. Near as I can tell this bike was manufactured between 1891-1899. the wood wheels are obviously shot, yet they still turn! a few reasons I went ahead on this bike: 1. Check out that chain! I have never seen anything like it. 2. all the spokes are wired and soldered together where they cross the third spoke. It is complete save for the seat and chainguard (that I know of). And all the bearings are free and turn. Including that chain! Some of the links are broken on the chain, yet it still turns. Does anybody know if you can still get a replacement chain or links? I have a few spare normal skiptooth chains, but haven't tried them for fit yet. The pedals have the crescent name on them although the pic isn't the best. Sorry. Bike has no brakes, it's an early fixie....hahahahahaha!!!!
IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

edited to repost pictures

the front chain ring is fairly narrow, i guess try a skiptooth and see what happens...

Nobody makes block chain anymore, or skiptooth for that matter.

be careful not to loose any nuts or bolts!

The date seems about right, although the fenders would not have been original to the bike at that time. In that time period almost everything was made "in house", which makes finding parts very difficult if not impossible. Still a good score for that price.

Thanks guys! I am glad to have gotten this bike even though it is a girls. I think I will hang it in the basement next to the waverley (which needs parts too), until I can get around to finding some parts. Even if I am not able to make it rideable, It is still a work of art and I couldn't see it sitting around in the great outdoors slowly rotting away. One of the gentlemen on the wheelmen said that I could put 700c's on it and ride it, but that it would not be worth a restoration. I considered telling them that worth is in the eye of the beerholder.

Iron Horse said:
One of the gentlemen on the wheelmen said that I could put 700c's on it and ride it,

That's exactly what I did with the Racycle. I'm thinking I might buy wood rims for it in the future, but I want it rideable.

This guy custom makes any size wood rim the old way,oak ,steam bent ,finger jointed ,drilled to your spoke count, example 28 inch x 1.5 for single tube tires $80 per rim, custom diameters and profiles available Noah Stutzman , 33650 cr12 , Baltic , Ohio 43804 phone (330) 897-1391 & leave message

Thanks Ohdeebee, and Herman. I will check into Noah in the very near future. Ohdeebee, my phone won't download all the pics for each post so I will have to wait till tonite when I can get to the library, but from what I could see, those were awesome! How do you make your wood rims? And on another note, how did you get that hub to clean up so well? Anyhoo I need to get your info so that we can do buiness! Whoo Hoo!

Back