1890`s Track bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up last weekend at the KC Swap meet. It is a Brown & Lewis Syrian made in Chicago USA . I have never seen another bike made by this company , so I go surfing the web for some info. I only thing I can find is on the Wheelmans site and they say they were in business only from 1897-1899 , but who really knows. If you have any more info on this bike please share it. I am going to try to save the back wood rim , but the front is shot. In this picture I stuck on a modern set of track bars , it came with a rusty track stem , but no bars. Check out the drop outs on the front fork. Anyone know of a good wood rim or set of rims let me know. The rear hub is a track style hub with no brake, but I can not find a brand name on it. Has a long way to go , but will make a fun winter project. This is by far the oldest bike I have ever owned. I like the details in the headbadge , if you look close you can see the B and The L for Brown and Lewis company.

bl6.jpg

bl5.jpg

bl4.jpg

bl3.jpg

Absolutely beautiful :shock: I love the peculiar shape of the rear triangle and of the fork... it even looks like it would take balloons! :D

try hitting yeshoney up about wheels...he just got an elgin that had 28's on it.
if you want the proper size on it the wheels theyre 28"x1 1/16"(maybe 1 1/8" ill measure mine tomorrow)
great score :mrgreen:

"eazywind" has some really nice wood originals for sale now on eBay, $200 though if my memory serves me correctly

Walker said:
I thought i saw two NOS wood 28's on e-bay the other day :?:
If I am thinking of the same ones they were 27 inch rims and they were very nice. . I need 28 inch.

Maybe I should just buy a set of the new Velosity teak rims and lace the old hubs to them . They are not real wood , but look good.
http://www.velocityusa.com/downloads/Co ... 00x750.jpg

got out the tape measure today.... the track wheels are 1 1/8" wide
you might try posting in the wanted section here and also on the cabe(you might be surprised at the response......i know i was everytime i posted for them)
btw boardtrackfan....that orphan white 28" wheel i got from you now has a matching mate(found its other half sitting in the back of college all laced up to a new d hub :shock: )
theres a guy on ebay who sells the original bars on ebay(i cant recall what his user name was though.....if i ever run into the guy who told me about him ill get it for you) for pretty cheap
again great score :mrgreen:

I think the ebay username of the guy that sells a lot of early track stuff is "woodrimfixedgear" or something like that.

Back