17 - 5/32" Bearing Retainer 1953 Monark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Anybody know where I can find a head set #73 bearing retainer/cartidge - bearing size 5/32", 1-15/32" Diameter retainer size at a good price? I'm finding other head bearing retainers from about .35¢ to $2/$4 each. I can only find these particular bearing retainers for $10-$12 each, plus shipping. Kinda steep I think for only one more bearing than the more common 16 ball bearing retainer. This is for my 1953 Monark. These are the bearings that are located in the "neck" of the bike.

Thanks fellers
EOEL

EastOfEastLos said:
Hey guys,

Anybody know where I can find a head set #73 bearing retainer/cartidge - bearing size 5/32", 1-15/32" Diameter retainer size at a good price? I'm finding other head bearing retainers from about .35¢ to $2/$4 each. I can only find these particular bearing retainers for $10-$12 each, plus shipping. Kinda steep I think for only one more bearing than the more common 16 ball bearing retainer. This is for my 1953 Monark. These are the bearings that are located in the "neck" of the bike.

Thanks fellers
EOEL

if i understand correctly, you have actual #73 retainers that have 17 balls instead of the common #73 with 16?

everything else being equal, if it's just the difference in the metal 'spacers' between balls that yields 17 vs 16 why bother with the 17 ball version? most shops probably have the typical #73 retainer (16x5/32) in stock. :)

a bit of a pain, but packing with loose balls would be cheap also......... :wink:

Bendix said:
EastOfEastLos said:
Hey guys,

Thanks fellers
EOEL

if i understand correctly, you have actual #73 retainers that have 17 balls instead of the common #73 with 16?

everything else being equal, if it's just the difference in the metal 'spacers' between balls that yields 17 vs 16 why bother with the 17 ball version? most shops probably have the typical #73 retainer (16x5/32) in stock. :)

a bit of a pain, but packing with loose balls would be cheap also......... :wink:

Yup, that's the case. This Monark has an apparent oddball 17 b.b. retainer. I'll use your advice though. Good stuff. Thanks.

Back