13/16" (21.15mm) Schwinn Stem Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I know its just another question from me but I think this is the last little piece I need help with before my bike is completely built up (first bike build ever and am doing EVERYTHING from scratch).

My question is what options do I have in getting my '72 Schwinn Varsity to fit a more "standard" size stem other than the proprietary 13/16 stem it original has? This is only an issue because the stem I have is pretty banged up and I am working on a more "pristine" project then a rat right now. I was reading through another bike forum that you might be able to ream out the steerer tube from 21.15mm to 22.2mm in order to fit a standard headset, but I have no clue if I should go about doing that (or even have the tools to do it). Do you think this is something my LBS would do? I could just drive down and check with College Cyclery but I always feel so bothersome when I ask these kinds of questions :oops:.

Anyways any thoughts on options to fit a more standard stem?

Thanks again for all the help and hope you guys like the new bike build here soon!

JP

bothering me????? never just dont mind me if i am running around like a chicken with its head cut off and i cant get to you right away. as for your question i have heard of doing that but i would be carefull. a better idea would be to find a cool old 22.2 road stem or better yet a new nitto technommic stem and have my fellow co worker loren turn it down to 21.1. i dont like the idea of removing that much material off a fork but most stems are fat through the quill part

Latest posts

Back