12-05-1952 Schwinn ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_20110611_114504.jpg

IMG_20110611_114535.jpg

IMG_20110611_114521.jpg

It has the sweet heart skip tooth chain wheel, missing some stuff like headlight looks like it should have a springer or something else per dents in the fender for clearance. Pretty rad for free 8) Going to hold onto this one for sure, I'm not sure its a Phantom looks like it though anyone shed any light on this?

Re: 12-05-1952 Schwinn Phantom?

The more I look at it I don't think it is either I've been surfing the net seems like there are some differences. Not to mention I don't see any tank marks at all. Still super happy to have the bike just need to take it apart and do some maintence.

I'd rather have the "Bug"..Just sayin....Oh nice score on the bike :wink:

Thanks bug is a score just on a different level, not to mention whats in the garage. I like projects 8)

I had a few Bugs..my first one was 6 volts..I looking to get another one...!

Maybe a Hornet missing it's trussrods. The others had cantilever frames or smaller chain guards. But American Flyer may have been sold as a different model.

168y2kz.jpg

Thats it every detail is the same..... I found something else about the American Flyer its the exact same as the Schwinn execpt the logos. So I guess I need to find a tank and head/ tail lights. It looks like it was originally red in some design just need to strip the black see what is still under it.

It has a rack from a Phantom or B6. Panthers had springforks and a Rocket Ray headlight. Is the front fender drilled for a light? My guess is that it's a parts bike or a BA-97. (stripped down version of a hornet) Made in KY? HaHa! Sold in KY, made in Chicago. :p Gary

When you take the forks off, the original color should be seen on the fork tube, unless they painted over it. Usually not. The inside of the crank housing also may have the original color. Hopefully they didn't sand anything down before painting. I've heard of people using oven cleaner to take off the cheap paint, leaving the original paint, but I've never tried it.

Yes the front fender is drilled for a headlight and there used to be one there for sure. I doubt it was a parts bike, the guy who gave it to me had it for about 3 years. A friend of his and his wife bought this bike and another matching girls bike new. Seeing how there is only 2 owners before me I don't think it has been monkeyed with to much then again you can never tell.
The picture posted up is just like mine the front fender has the dents for the 2 metal pieces that come from the head set down to the wheels, bracket is sill there there just no metal rods. Not to mention the picture has the same rack as the bike I have. Then again I have no idea you could be right about the stripped down hornet. :D I'm still going to try to find the tank, headlight, and other missing parts. Still pretty happy since it was free, its going to be a fun bike to ride around on.

It says Schwinn built, I'm guess the company ordered the bikes in and put that tag on it for advertisement for their company. Just a guess, I've started trying to find parts for this thing. Going to put it together and leave it all ratty, might try to strip it back to the og paint. I know a lot of it is missing but hey I like the ratty og paint look so going to give it a shot. I can always just blend paint in where I have to do some metal hammering.

El Duderino said:
wouldnt the louisville cycle supply bike be built in louisville?

Louisville Cycle Supply was a major distributor (and bike shop) for the SE US owned for many years by the Lipski family. They bought Chicago built Schwinn bikes and rebadged them with their "Speedway" and "American Flyer" badges. I would imagine they were also distributors for other brands too but I'm not positive about that. To my knowledge, they didn't have a bike factory or make bikes, they just sold them. Gary

Back