$10 Antique Mall "..." bike, plus a couple others...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I'm out scouting for bikes today and I see this abomination from a couple aisles over in the antique mall, and I immediately think "man, I'll bet they're asking $75 for this thing..."

huf1.jpg

(Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, maybe some better ones later) *EDIT - new pics added!

So I go over to check it out, first thing I notice is it's on sale for $10, so I immediately lay hands on it. Next two things I notice do not compute...lugged frame, and...

huf6.jpg

...Huffy?

huf5.jpg

Yep.

So I figure I need to bring this beast home just to sort it out and un-addle my brain. Well, turns out RALEIGH made Huffy bikes for, like, a long time. Who knew? Not me...

huf11.jpg

huf10.jpg

huf9.jpg

So it turns out, except for the mother of all banana seats...

huf16.jpg

and the goofy ten-speed bars, this thing is all English!

huf7.jpg

Chain ring says R-I-N for Raleigh Industries Nottingham...

Check out these bad-... old-skool graphics:

huf8.jpg

huf12.jpg

Even got a bonus Shimano 3 speed "click stick" as well (don't think that is original)..

huf3.jpg

Frame lugs...

huf4.jpg

According to the interweb, this is about a '55 or so.

Re: $10 Antique Mall "***" bike, plus a couple others...

Also passed on a couple other bikes. Can't take them all home...

allpro.jpg

This K-Mart "All Pro" muscle bike looked great from a distance and still pretty good close up, but it was $50 firm, and I didn't want it for myself and everything worth parting out had some sort of issue. The tires looked spectacular, until you pinched one and could see all the cracks in it. The red metalflake on the banana seat was gorgeous, but the white was ripped all around the bottom. If you wanted to restore it, every graphic on it had a scratch through it. The grips looked like new, but it didn't feel like they would ever come off the bars...and so on. It'll make somebody happy to hang on their garage wall. Price was fair, but IMHO no room to make any money. You would have to want it.

ghawth.jpg

Verry pretty girls Hawthorne bike for $110. Again, priced right, but it was a girls bike and I have no need for it, and couldn't sell it for much more. Really good looking bike though..

Man you scored in parts alone. You could easily double your money on just the seat, triple it or better on the shifter, and the rest is just icing on the cake.

Curious about these two graphics:

huf8.jpg

huf12.jpg

They match close enough that they look like they could be original, but they don't really make sense being on the bike (hunchback and devil)? Anybody recognize these as being anything, or have you ever seen them on another Huffy Sportsman? I would love to find reproductions!

The thug decal reminds Me of a walt disney charactor .Maybe a rub on.

Definately looks Raleigh built, frame and chainguard shape matchone I parted ( and just sold the guard., so had in hand yesterday, exact match shapewise ).

I have a old leather roadbike seat stamped ' huffy' that would look good on there..

Yes, the Huffy Sportsman was a Raleigh Sports badged for the american market. I had one and it had inferior Shimano equipment too versus the wonderful sturmey stuff.. I guess they had to make it different somewhere.

I believe the old water slide decals are Impko products. Search them on ebay ,there are a bunch of wacky '60s ones out there.
You can sell the seat and shifter for a nice profit. If you do a little piecing together on the Raleigh that's an easy flip on Craigslist.

Back