█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex 6/12 Do You Hear Me Major Tom?

I realize you're not going for mtb amount of travel but the comment was more in regards to the original design issue with twin-flexes(esp the double spring so-called death bike) even the single spring versions for youth weights there's alot of twisting force between pedaling, braking, hitting bumps off angle etc on those lever arms, not a lot of survivor bikes that I can tell. But it's hard to tell from pics how everything is assembled.

kingfish254 said:
Thanks for the feedback. That GT is slick.

I have always loved the bars, I just love them even more now with the way my build is going.

No need for any other pivots. Modern MTBs have the main pivot near the BB, so there is a lot more travel. Mine is based on the 1939 TwinFlex and the main pivot is only a few inches in front of the drops. All I had to do was add a second pivot just above the drops (just like the TwinFlex and have the upper springer bolt secured in a stationary plane with brackets. This makes the springer travel smoothly with no binding. Pretty cool for 1930s engineering.

Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex 6/12 Do You Hear Me Major Tom?

socal_jack said:
I realize you're not going for mtb amount of travel but the comment was more in regards to the original design issue with twin-flexes(esp the double spring so-called death bike) even the single spring versions for youth weights there's alot of twisting force between pedaling, braking, hitting bumps off angle etc on those lever arms, not a lot of survivor bikes that I can tell. But it's hard to tell from pics how everything is assembled.

kingfish254 said:
Thanks for the feedback. That GT is slick.

I have always loved the bars, I just love them even more now with the way my build is going.

No need for any other pivots. Modern MTBs have the main pivot near the BB, so there is a lot more travel. Mine is based on the 1939 TwinFlex and the main pivot is only a few inches in front of the drops. All I had to do was add a second pivot just above the drops (just like the TwinFlex and have the upper springer bolt secured in a stationary plane with brackets. This makes the springer travel smoothly with no binding. Pretty cool for 1930s engineering.

I know that twisting and lateral movement are going to be things that I need to look for and try to compensate for with this design. In the test rig, it seems to be pretty solid laterally. Once I get the connectors welded to the tops of the support arms, I plan to bolt all the way through from on arm to the other where it will join at the springer U-Arm. This should also help make it more solid.

I still don't know how this rides,yet. That comes later.

Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex Spaceliner 6/12 Spaceship! Page 36

I ment to tell you I like your new rear spring cover more than the can one . Although the can was cool also because it looked like a spring in a way the new cover looks more buck Rodgers .. In a good way. :D

I love all of the points and wings. Your bike looks like it's ready for take off. When you're finished we'll need to see a photo of you popping a wheely with your back tire in a cloud of smoke.

Ape Stanger said:
I love all of the points and wings. Your bike looks like it's ready for take off. When you're finished we'll need to see a photo of you popping a wheely with your back tire in a cloud of smoke.

Uh oh..... he'll be adding a smoke machine near the rear wheely wheel next! :lol: like Ace Frehley's smokin guitar!
but that would be pretty dang cool

mitchelangelo said:
Ape Stanger said:

Uh oh..... he'll be adding a smoke machine near the rear wheely wheel next! :lol: like Ace Frehley's smokin guitar!
but that would be pretty dang cool

Oh man, I couldn't pull that off. That is something that Jake needs for Joan though!!!!!!

How about a bubble machine then? It would be kinda cool to pass your buddies and leave them in a trail of bubbles.

Ape Stanger said:
How about a bubble machine then? It would be kinda cool to pass your buddies and leave them in a trail of bubbles.

I can do that now. I'll just eat a bowl of Calgon Chili!!! :p

Ape Stanger said:

Thanks Ape, a lot of stuff is really starting to come together on this. I still have some things up my sleeve too. One super secret collaboration project is almost ready to unveil, but not just yet. 8)

tanksalot said:
I ment to tell you I like your new rear spring cover more than the can one . Although the can was cool also because it looked like a spring in a way the new cover looks more buck Rodgers .. In a good way. :D

Thank tank (wait a minute, thats what I call Dr Tankenstein, you'll have to be tanksalot).
Buck Rodgers is cool with me. I am enjoying paying homage to some of the space age design elements that have been on bikes and cars from the 50s and 60s.

char said:
It's looking great! Keep up the great work! :)

slowriderz said:
This bike is just sweet! keep up the awsome work! i am digging every bit of it 8)

Char and Slowriderz, that a bunch. I appreciate the kudos from you all and I'm glad that others are getting a kick out of my build. I know I sure am having fun with it!!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Ape Stanger said:

Wow man, I'm glad that's not a tandem board tracker with drop bars in back. :lol:

Ape Stanger said:
kingfish254 said:
Ape Stanger said:

Wow man, I'm glad that's not a tandem board tracker with drop bars in back. :lol:

Oh man, now I have a Southpark image in my head from the Apple iTunes Agreement episode. :shock:

Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlex Spaceliner 6/10 Shaken Not Stirred

kingfish254 said:
There are always some cool parts on most RRB builds, but I don't think I have ever seen a parts list for any of the builds.

Here is my UPDATED partial list so far.

1960s Chrome Spaceliner Frame and Chainguard
1940s Snyder Hawthorne BeeHive Springer Fork
1960s Murray Meteor Flite ladies rear end drops and seat stays
1960s AMF Skyrider Star Chainring
1940s dogleg crank
1954 Chevy hood ornament wings
1953 Ford jet hood ornament wings
1960s twin tube 5 speed muscle bike shifter
200x Schwin SS Sport black rims
200x Bontrager Redline Hank tires
2012 Shimano Nexus 7 hub
200x Clubman motorcycle handlebars
2012 Rat Rod Bikes 007 Headbadge
Rear suspension based on 1939 TwinFlex (not really a part, but cool re-use of old engineering)
1940s Unity police search light headlight
200x Stainless coktail shaker rear spring cover and spaceship body
1953 Ford jet hood ornament tailfin and nose cone for rear springer spaceship
1954 Chevy eagle hood ornament headlight bracket
200x Harley Davidson flaming #7 Pool Ball kickstand foot
1990s Columbia MTB Y stem

More to come for sure!

This rocket bottle opener is really cool, but I can't think of a place to use it without cluttering things up too much.

rocket-opener-1-1307632945.gif

bike2112 said:
How about as a headlight on a front fender or as the tank? That thing is really cool, what year is it, it looks 50's ish.

I already have my headlight and headlight bracket to work on. I am thinking one spaceship is enough on my bike.
There are plenty of these on ebay. I am guessing they are actually new made to look old.

Some of these builds are pretty exciting, but yours is the first one I've seen where the bike looks excited. ;-)

Is that a rocket in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

WP_001837.jpg

loudboys said:
Some of these builds are pretty exciting, but yours is the first one I've seen where the bike looks excited. ;-)

Is that a rocket in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

I better call a doctor, because it's been longer that 4 hours now.

Back