█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/3 theft slows progress

Interesting build.Love military bikes and enjoy your other builds.I'm hoping to get ideas for a sidecar build I've been thinking about for a while.I 've been enjoying the humor you've been spreading around this forum as well :lol:

Circa Cycles said:
Interesting build.Love military bikes and enjoy your other builds.I'm hoping to get ideas for a sidecar build I've been thinking about for a while.I 've been enjoying the humor you've been spreading around this forum as well :lol:

Thanks, I'm glad someone gets it. haha

Critter1 said:
Good job! You'll get good karma while the guy that stole his trike will no doubt get the bad!!!

I'm not much for karma, but I believe that what goes around comes around.

When I finished his bike I thought he would just walk it back to his house but he got on it and rode up and down the street, I know he hadn't ridden it in at least a couple years, but you know what they say about riding a bike...

Let me bring my shotgun and I will be happy to load a few 3in slug shots on that sidecar. Justin you got me itching to get on the buildoff bandwagon again. Looking forward to see the progress on this build.

nelvolks said:
Let me bring my shotgun and I will be happy to load a few 3in slug shots on that sidecar. Justin you got me itching to get on the buildoff bandwagon again. Looking forward to see the progress on this build.

I want this bike/sidecar to look like it took a few shots as it eluded the bad guy, not like it was involved in a mob hit! haha

bighit said:
OD green and bullit holes just go together so well. Shoot it with some bird shot.

I thought of this, but it just doesn't "feel" authentic for the battle field... now my farm field yes.

bighit said:
Fair enough, shotgun rack!

I noticed a lot of military cycles had some sort of rifle sleeve, not sure on that one yet.

Podcat aka(Cattywampus) agreed to help you at your request.His hourly rate is pricey(Hope ya got lots of catnip).I can barely afford his expertise!Tripod and Tricycle jokes upset him,id watch what you say around him.
hiawatha007.jpg

Man, everytime I see an animal like that, I think of how easy our lives are.....those little guys do figure out ways to deal with things.....dumb animals...yeah right.....Nice pic....special place in my heart for critters makin' do..

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Man, everytime I see an animal like that, I think of how easy our lives are.....those little guys do figure out ways to deal with things.....dumb animals...yeah right.....Nice pic....special place in my heart for critters makin' do..
He just recovered from it and is doing marvelous,you'd think he never knew it happened.

so I'm all this talk about this an that wheres the build lets see where you at with it

at the risk of a thread jack...

awww, I love that cat. He's cool. Can he still jump up on things?

big kountry said:
so I'm all this talk about this an that wheres the build lets see where you at with it

Good question, every time I go out to the shop I start working on a different project. I can't "tear down" my bike for paint because I need it to build the sidecar with it together.

Spent the day taking my 5 year old son to the Duke Children's Hospital, he's scheduled for surgery May 30th, it's basically hernia repair surgery, but he doesn't have a hernia, it's a hydrocele ... look it up. :?

While out today I bought this for $5, it will get the "blackout" treatment for a taillight, and I'm going to ditch the photocell for a normal switch.

SAM_0654.jpg

Spent some time in a Tractor Supply and an antique store looking for a top secret part...

I have always planned to use a canteen as a tank whenever I get around to doing a military bike build.
Have you thought about that? It would be pretty easy to slice down the middle.

Also, there is a nicely restored WWII US Jeep here at the Bali resort I am at. I took plenty of photos and will get them to you at some point.

kingfish254 said:
I have always planned to use a canteen as a tank whenever I get around to doing a military bike build.
Have you thought about that? It would be pretty easy to slice down the middle.

Also, there is a nicely restored WWII US Jeep here at the Bali resort I am at. I took plenty of photos and will get them to you at some point.

I'm considering using the stock tank, otherwise, not going to use a "theme" tank. I really like the lines of this frame, pretty happy that I have 2 of them, but I still may end up chopping one. :shock:

Updates on the way, been doing some real work, killed a nice Schwinn frame and about to lay the first bead on the Jesse James.

I was looking at bike stuff and found this and thought of you build.... If you decide to use the tank you should use some pin up art on it

f4c631af.jpg

It would be cool to paint it black

Von Stans said:
I was looking at bike stuff and found this and thought of you build.... If you decide to use the tank you should use some pin up art on it

It would be cool to paint it black

Thanks for the ideas, I couldn't very well explain the pin up girls to my young kids (or wife) though it would be an authentic touch. I like that chainring, but will be using the small 26 tooth one for more power/less strain with the extra weight.

OK, I actually got some real work done, I hope some people are still reading, haha.

OK, a quick headlight mock-up, this will be about where I will be putting the blackout light:
SAM_0656.jpg

Here are both WCC choppers together, as you can see, the one in the foreground is more complete, neither had a chain guard, so I don't know what one for this bike even looked like. I bought the complete one for $15, it's got a lot of surface rust and the handlebars are actually pretty pitted, not exactly sure how it got this way since the chain looks really good. It's odd, the forks are also bent.
SAM_0657.jpg

Here are both seat posts, they will be combined to make a layback later once I get the seat I'm looking for (or make it):
SAM_0658.jpg

Then I got distracted and pulled out my tandem frame and put red oxide primer over the undercoat:
SAM_0659.jpg

I hear these Schwinns are pretty tough frames. This one was my wife's bike in college, man it's like brand new!
SAM_0660.jpg

OK, it *was* like brand new:
SAM_0661.jpg

I know why people think Schwinns are so special, they're made with love (what is this, on bottom of down tube):
SAM_0663.jpg

A quick mock-up:
SAM_0664.jpg

The sidecar will actually be a little eider than this:
SAM_0665.jpg

This is the part that was welded under the chainstay, I used a shock bolt head to cap the end:
SAM_0666.jpg

Welded on:
SAM_0667.jpg

SAM_0668.jpg

I'm going to have to modify a fork to fit the other rear wheel (yes other rear, not front) so that I won't have to hack up the spare frame:
SAM_0669.jpg

SAM_0670.jpg

And while I was cleaning up my welds I had an idea, and thoughts on this one?
SAM_0672.jpg

This "first" step was the hardest to make, gaining build confidence now. I measured my son and daughter so that I can start building the actual sidecar frame. I need to find some sheet metal to skin it with.

Latest posts

Back