Rusty Sears Screamer Hunt Is Over - NANNER PUDDIN (Frame Build has Begun)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rusty Sears Screamer Hunt Is Over - PHOTO HEAVY

i laughed when i hit the picture with the dustpan in the background :lol: :lol:
maybe you can try a huge tub bath of oxalic acid for a day or 2 ?
you will be amazed what that stuff can bring back to life !!
ive been working on a sears spyder mark 7 through the winter in my basement ( originally it looked like it was on the titanic )

this is what mine looked like when i started. ALL of the chrome came back to life in oxalic acid bath :mrgreen:
DSCF2564.jpg

dragnusa said:
For the BB maybe put it in a vise then use a pipe wrench and cheater bar on the nut

That's what I was planning on trying for the BB. I have a 2 foot pipe wrench.

30thtbird said:
Gonna be a cool build. Definitely gonna need a vise. Hope you got a good one. More than likely will have to cut the stem/gooseneck off and go from there.

Very surprised to see that both of the black plastic caps are still on that derailleur. Everyone into the musclebikes are always looking for those.

I am planning on using larger forks, so I don't have to worry about salvaging the fork.

Does anyone know if the fork side reflectors hold any value? I think they were a Screamer 1 only item.

Jaxon pointed out the black caps on my single speed derailleuer too. I think he said they were either $20 each or $20 a pair. Considering the condition, it is pretty amazing that they are there. The Lark emblem is also in good shape.

junknutz1975 said:
i laughed when i hit the picture with the dustpan in the background :lol: :lol:
maybe you can try a huge tub bath of oxalic acid for a day or 2 ?
you will be amazed what that stuff can bring back to life !!
ive been working on a sears spyder mark 7 through the winter in my basement ( originally it looked like it was on the titanic )

I know that oxalic is good for chrome, but I don't know if it will help free up the BB or fork. Worth a try.
Love the look of you Spyder!
I had to keep sweeping up rust, so that why I had the dustpan. :mrgreen:

Cant wait 2 see what u do 2 this pile of rust, lets see if it snaps in too when u take off on it for its 1st ride............

yearz said:
Cant wait 2 see what u do 2 this pile of rust, lets see if it snaps in too when u take off on it for its 1st ride............

I'm not to worried about that. The frame and joints are solid. I just need to free the internals from the frame.

its rusty, but its not a rust bucket.
its much cooler than that 8)
it looks like it has good bones :D

Yep, she's ugly, but she had a great personality! :D

Your Screamer is a 1972. the last year they made them!.. I may have some hardware parts if you need anything. email me and i will look. [email protected] The side reflectors will most likely break trying to get them out of the forks. but if you can get them out they may have some value to someone looking for them...Good luck on it. I will be watching your journey!

Murray-Eliminator said:
Your Screamer is a 1972. the last year they made them!.. I may have some hardware parts if you need anything. email me and i will look. [email protected] The side reflectors will most likely break trying to get them out of the forks. but if you can get them out they may have some value to someone looking for them...Good luck on it. I will be watching your journey!

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what parts make it a 72?

The parts that make it a 72 are the seat and the reflectors in the forks. They changed the seat in Mid 1970. Reflectors were added in 71 I believe along with a BMA sticker on the frame seat post tube. The 69 & 70 had a buldge on the rear drop out and after that they were smooth. Another easy way to date the frame.

69 FRAME

IMG_7755.jpg

70 FRAME

IMG_8017.jpg

Cool find Kingfish, a ratty screamer is just plain cool. You going to make it your RRBBO entry?

If all goes well I might be getting it's rusty cousin later today. I love the dropouts on these. Like yours it will need lots of love but I think the only things I'll be using when I'm done is the frame, fender, and maybe the seat pan anyway. I got plans for this bad boy. :wink:

image-159_zpsd8eaf7aa.jpg

image-159_zpsf6d95239.jpg

Thanks for the Screamer lesson Jaxon.

Outskirt, I'm not planning on using the Screamer for BO8. I have other plans for the build off.
Good luck on that rusty score.

kingfish254 said:
Thanks for the Screamer lesson Jaxon.

Outskirt, I'm not planning on using the Screamer for BO8. I have other plans for the build off.
Good luck on that rusty score.

Thanks, Knowing what you've built in the past and what goes on in your head I can't wait for your build off thread. Sure to be epic. I'm guessing something with super fat tires.

any more playing? :mrgreen:

junknutz1975 said:
any more playing? :mrgreen:

Naw. Haven't touched it. Been too busy flipping bikes and Electra parts lately.

kingfish254 said:
Murray-Eliminator said:

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what parts make it a 72?

and the serial #s are on the head tube, they switched them to that in 1972...

Re: Rusty Sears Screamer Hunt Is Over - Free at Last

After sitting around my shop for a while with occassional sprays of PB Blaster, I took my Screamer over to my dad's to use his bench vise.
Surprise surprise!!!! The cranks AND the stem AND the forks came off with only a little bit of elbow grease.
I now have a raw Screamer frame and fork to do with as I please.

One idea that I had was the possiblity of cutting the rear end off just behind the brake/fender brace, then welding in chainstay and seatstay extensions to basically elongate the whole frame about 8-12 inches. That would allow for more grown up wheel choices.
If I also widened it, it may even be possible to put a Beast wheel back there. :p

WP_001474.jpg

Re: Rusty Sears Screamer Hunt Is Over - Free at Last

Sweet frame I will definitely be tuned into this build. A Beast back tire would be sick! I got my Western Flyer - Fast one so I will be entering it in the build off. Not going with anything way out there like you so I can keep within the traditional build rules but it should still be cool.

Latest posts

Back