In the weeds (finished....maybe)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
originally a basic cheap store bought bike,got rid of the 7sp gears,alloy rimmed wheels,seat(standard springer),rigid standard forks,and ugly chainring,replaced with chrome wheels,a sissy bar and old B seat from a parts bike and chucked them on,put on a better chainring from an old bmx,chucked on some meaty pedals,made up a bent fork out of bits(was for 20" wheel so had to grind out bottom of fork crown to fit 26"wheel)chucked those on so at moment its a fully rideable mock up
Iphone374.jpg

Thanx Josh,I will prolly get someone to weld something at the back just to stretch it a bit and gona build a chrome rim wheel with a 3sp hub so I can do a shifter,bog in between the curved rails,flat black it with some patina redo the seat with worn leather and leave it at that

Long and Low Gotta like that!!! 8) :mrgreen:

yer its a scraper alright,pedal is about a centimetre from the ground at the bottom stroke,gona have to move the BB when I get it stretched,was gona do apes but looks better with the low cruiser bars.hopefully will get to bog in the rails soon :D

thanx,yer I think I will do a few bikes with the "sacked" look,the bolt on the springer has been cut down and the spring is compressed heaps so there is probly 2" of travel when sitting up and leaning on the bars so sitting and riding over a small pothole takes the hard edge of the bump away nicely,not sure where to but a new BB but don't want it too far forward,maybe a mid mounted one in case I get a straighter fork

other comitments have slowed this project down but i have started to strip the paint off so I can bondo/bog inbetween the two rails,my friend asked if i was gona remove the cable guides from the top of the frame,I said yes and he decided to vice grip one and wiggle it off,guess he didnt know that a weld is usually toughter than the metal tube.....yup he tore off the cable giude AND the metal it was welded to so I have a hole in the frame to cover up....not happy

since this pic was taken it was fully sanded and starting to file down the rear seat stay so it will fit nicely to the main seat stay ready for welding,I had to put this build on the back burner as I am building a bike for young boy,he was bugging me for so long and giving me those sad eyes i just couldnt refuse
Iphone1984.jpg

thanx JackD,I didnt want to destroy the curves of the frame and cut it up,didnt want to cut up a perfectly good lowrider frame that I had either,but luck would have it that a lowrider bike I mainly wanted for the wheels was available and had suffered damage on the frame from the forks hitting it so that sacrificed itself for me,I think the new rear ties in with the overall flow of the bike

yer Skull,but not too far forward,maybe as far as the lowest cable guide and may cut out some of the frame there just to recess the BB into it abit,after that I may cut out the seat tube completely and move the top of the seat tube back and down a bit but thats a little in the future

yer I think I will do a few like that,I am tempted to angle the headtube slightly and put on some loooooong as forks so the front of the frame is high resulting in a 70's style chopper but I will stick to my original plan of going low and slow for this other wise I won't get it finished,as it is I am doing 9-10 hour shifts and the rest of the time is for family so will be dragged out a bit but hope to get the welding done within a months time,once that is done I think it will be quik to get 75% done overall

frame back from the hotrod shop,told him I didnt want a nice clean weld rather have a rough looking one as I want it to look ratty and roughly done
IMG_3473_zpshilfcay9.jpg

IMG_3475_zpsd4bji3f2.jpg

"look how cockeyed he works,shiny cups on a rusty frame,the boys got good hands tho"
IMG_3476_zpsghqvqzij.jpg

Latest posts

Back