Anyone up for a tall bike challenge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of in the same boat as far as slow progress. I'm finishing a project for a customer(late 50's or early 60's murray). Not only did I run into two flat tires on two different bikes on the same day, but I'm struggling for time to put my 49 schwinn straightbar tanker back together. Bodywork on my 80 chevy truck. Had to clean up the threads on the crank of my 48 schwinn hornet so I could get some pedals back on (at which point I discovered the flat in the rear). Got the correct fork for one of my motorbike hawthornes. Plus I need to cut the lawn. I'll get the tallbike done, I promise. Eventually

Almost done sanding.

ry%3D400

Self etching primer, done

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The paint job was a lot of work and there are several problems that I doubt can be fixed. I'm also not thrilled with the colors or the overall outcome. Maybe after I get it all put together I'll feel less critical/negative about it...

Thanks youthgeye!

I'm just disappointed with the results... a big section of paint peeled off of the steering tube and I think more peeling is on the way! Watch out for soponification.

carvingbike said:
Thanks youthgeye!

I'm just disappointed with the results... a big section of paint peeled off of the steering tube and I think more peeling is on the way! Watch out for soponification.

Your steer tube is the galvanized right? The new steer tube on my tall bike is galvanized, but I haven't welded it yet, so paint is a ways off. Before I weld I grind down so I don't poison myself, I guess I need acid or something to clean the rest of it.

Your steer tube is the galvanized right? The new steer tube on my tall bike is galvanized, but I haven't welded it yet, so paint is a ways off. Before I weld I grind down so I don't poison myself, I guess I need acid or something to clean the rest of it.

The steering tube is galvanized and I'm sure that was the problem. From the few pages I've read, trying to figure out what went wrong, it looks like acid wash may or may not work. There is a test you can do to see if the metal will react or not, but it was all beyond what I was willing to do anyways so I just figured I'd try the latex spray paint and also try a little harder to avoid galvanized pipe in the future...

I can't wait to see it! Have you ridden it yet? If so, how does it ride?
I'm thinking about putting the cranks in the lower bottom bracket & installing a 20" banana seat w/ a longer sissy bar & no training wheels, instead of the 16" seat. I think my son is too little to ride it, even w/ the 'tip proof' training wheels. Right now I'm trying to leave it alone so the paint that didn't peel off has time to cure.

Well slap a "DONE" sign on that one. Took it out riding on Fri. and to Freakinmuth on Sat. I dumped it after realizing I had only snugged up the bars instead of tightening them. :oops: Opppps. It rides realy nice for a non-suspension bike. I had a two speed kickback on it that was stuck in low. So after visiting Don at Petri bikes, he gave me a sweet deal on a Nexus 3 speed. I rides real nice now. I could not believe all the positive comments I got just riding around my hood. At freakinmuth some idiot decided to sit on the bike parked next to mine :shock: and when he got up it fell on my bike which in turn fell on my mini-tiki bike. All in all I took 3 bikes and came home with two scratched ones. I hope somebody got a pre scratch photo cause I know I didnt yet, but heres the videos. #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYordr6wbBg&NR=1 #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19B1rALR ... re=related

TommyTwoTime said:
Well slap a "DONE" sign on that one. Took it out riding on Fri. and to Freakinmuth on Sat. I dumped it after realizing I had only snugged up the bars instead of tightening them. :oops: Opppps. It rides realy nice for a non-suspension bike. I had a two speed kickback on it that was stuck in low. So after visiting Don at Petri bikes, he gave me a sweet deal on a Nexus 3 speed. I rides real nice now. I could not believe all the positive comments I got just riding around my hood. At freakinmuth some idiot decided to sit on the bike parked next to mine :shock: and when he got up it fell on my bike which in turn fell on my mini-tiki bike. All in all I took 3 bikes and came home with two scratched ones. I hope somebody got a pre scratch photo cause I know I didnt yet, but heres the videos. #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYordr6wbBg&NR=1 #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19B1rALR ... re=related

Congratulations on your first tall bike ride! 8) It looks great & looks like it rides great too! It's hard to tell in the video, did you wind up doing the paint fade? It looks like it goes from dark orange in front to light orange in the back, or it could just be the video lighting?
Glad there were no major injuries! I hear that, loose women & loose handlebars will get you every time! :shock:
I just found the mini-tiki bike, VERY COOL LITTLE BIKE!!!
Sorry about the bikes getting scratched!

Yeah i did the paint fade. I first did gold into orange but it looked boring so I went and grabbed a can of floresent pink. The pink turned into a lipstick kinda color after I put some duplicrap clear over it. I actually love it more now cause it looks like an exotic color. Im not overly worried about the damage from the moron that tipped it over. They are ratrods and it does become patina over time. It just suks that people do not understand that these are our hotrods and they need to be respected as somebodys property. The other bike that wasnt mine was powder coated and thats not repairable cause his was chipped. As for how it rides, its hard to explain but I already have cravings to go ride it. It was funny how many people stopped to wave when I was riding it in my area. One grandma asked if it was homemade and I said it sure is and she said that she knew it and told me how much she loved it. Another shut off her lawn mower to ask how do I get on and off of that thing, so I just showed her right there. A couple of kids said Whooooah and chased me a couple houses down. This bike is going to be alot of fun this summer I can see already. Tomorrow, I am going to ride it about five miles to salute some vets at our local parade. Should be a good ride if the weather is good.

I am having trouble finding a 20" wheel for the front that kind of matches the rear. Also the handlebars are allover my knees making it impossible to turn. So I may just have to throw a bmx wheel on the front, some bmx bars on for clearance and call mine done. Nothing fancy.

And as far as paint peeling, I think I've had wrinkling issues with every bike I've painted in the last two years. I used spray laquer for years with no issues when recoating. But in the past couple of years even duplicolor has been wrinkling when i recoat or do touchups. I have even used a hardener that you add to canned laquer clearcoat when you mix it to put in a sprayer. After it was fully cured I realized I had a small chip. When I went to touch it up, the whole area wrinkled and lifted. I'm thinking of just making all of my bikes with a textured finish so it won't matter.

Woo hoo!! The pixie tall bike is pretty much done. I just took it for a spin around the block. I'm going to try and rig up my camera so I can post some riding video. Pictures coming soon!

Latest posts

Back