You know you're a bike parts junkie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
...when you can't tell if you should feel proud or ashamed of your stash.

I just bought a pretty rad frameset from RRB member Kram ( http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/trailmate-industrial-frame-and-fork.82693/ ) and it arrived in a very nicely packed package yesterday. (Yeah, I +1'd his feedback--thanks, @kram !) The purchase included frame, fork, headset (not installed), and seatpost (included, not installed.) Unique to most old-school Industrial bikes, the Trailmate doesn't take a seatclamp like a worksman or a SHD; rather, it takes a binder bolt like an old road frame would have. The binder bolt wasn't included, and it's a dookie-fat one, looks to be 1 1/8" shoulder-to-shoulder. Bummer. I checked the parts bin; all ofmy binder bolts are too small, but then I checked my small bits bin, and as luck would have it, I have a sleeve nut that's long enough, in the right size, with the right thread pitch. At this point, I'm a little bit amazed and feeling pretty good about myself, even if the scenario is pretty much proof that I'm an unrepentant bike nerd.

Next problem (well, there are a buncha problems, as one tends to get from an old bike, but only one other problem points to the dork-factor): the Trailmate has a deviant seatpost. It ain't a 13/16" and it ain't a 7/8"; even though the frame is pure Florida redneck, with an oversized 1" threaded headset and skinny tubes with fat walls and primitive TIG welds and stamped drop-outs....all of which are hallmarks of a blue-blooded SAE hillbilly bicycle frame... it takes some kind of metric seatpost. Best of my measuring abilities suggest it's a 22.0mm, which is a popular size on Peugeot UO8s and other degenerate Froggish bicycles from a time before Bicycle808 was even born. (I won't say anything against French ppl, but I have to say that French bikes are pure evil.) So, after I figured out that my7/8" posts wouldn't fit, and my 13/16" posts would slip around, I figured I'd use the stock post, even though it's short'n'stubby, scratched up, and probably the same age as my wife. (She's youngish for a wife, but she'd make for a rusty old seatpost, judging by age.) OF course, it fit fine, but it's a pipe style post, and due to it's slightly skinny dimensions (straight up n down), the guts wouldn't tighten down t it properly.

Ran back to the bin, praying that I had a Wald #905 13/16"-to-7/8" shim. As it turns out, I had 2. So, I initially put one between the 22.0mm post and the guts, which worked fine but looked stupid. So, I pulled it all apart, and slid the shim into the frame before installing the 13/16" post. Tightened it all down, and everything's all come together.

So, despite feeling like a roaring champion initially, due to the good luck and bountiful diversity of my parts bin, I started to think a little harder. In some ways, I feel weird about being "that guy": the guy with obscure pieces of hardware on-hand that enable him to cobble'n'kludge together esoteric old bikes of little-to-no monetary value. "Shame" ain't the word, really, but when I was explaining the story to my buddy Harry, I did feel a bit embarrassed.

Then again, if I weren't "that guy", I'd be sitting here looking at a 95% complete bike, wishing I could ride it while waiting for a few pieces of hardware to arrive in the post.

So, sorry about the long-winded bicycle romance novel, but I gotta ask--- does anyone else have a tale about having the luck/obsession required to put a bike together when weird little bits were required?

Great story! :thumbsup:

Personally I love being able to find just the right piece I need among the 60+ bikes in my stockpile (not as organised as you with separate parts bins I am ashamed to say) I just wish I managed to find them BEFORE I spent 2 days trying to make something from scratch to do the same job... :headbang:

I was wondering how to extend a threadless 1 1/8th fork tube, thinking I would have to machine a piece of tube to the right size or weld a hidden extension down low when just for kicks I got my callipers out and went and measured a few bikes frame tubing, turns out some old 10 speed road bikes have the same size in the main triangle! That will save me a few hours in the build-off! :thumbsup:

Luke.

I have the oppisite problem, I don't have a stockpile!
Nothing!
I gather parts to build a bike, and getr done.
Just think, the same squidbillies, drive big 4 x 4 trucks and tell bicyclist thru drunken garble, "get dat bike offa da road furn I run ya down." Usually pissed drunk.
Good luck with the build, I gotta go ride my Alco.

I'm not terribly organized, but I do try to straighten things up a couple times a year. Makes it a little easier to guess where things might be....

Not having a stockpile, like mikeee, probably has its benefits, too. My wife'd prefer that, for sure. But i'm glad I had bits on hand for this bike... and it comes in handy pretty often.

As for the squidbillies and such, in my experience, a lot of'm love bikes. Others don't, of course. But they're a complicated ppl. No doubt i'm a hillbilly myself, at least by Jersey standards...:crazy:

Have a workshop full of bins with parts stripped from old bicycles/motorcycles,+ parts purchased from all over the world.Always modifying,smashing,banging to make things fit...
And a few french bicycles;). One will be in this years build off...:thumbsup:

Both of my grandfathers and my dad always had a box or a tin that they would put random nuts and bolts and hardware in. Before they tossed anything they would remove screws and nuts and bolts and add those to the box. I started doing it as a kid when my 8 track player broke. I opened it up and tried to fix it and when it was hopeless I removed ever tiny screw and pulley from it. I probably still have some of those screws in one of my hardware organizers.

I try to do the same with bike parts. I don't always organize them when I am breaking down a bike, but I'll toss them in a box and eventually get around to sorting through the box into other containers.

Back