yet more issues with my genesis pedals keep moving makes alot of noise when coasting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ok where i am at wits end with this genesis onex 29er cruiser and its rear wheel issues, i would like to keep it running if possible.
here is the latest problem
when i want to coast the pedals keep going and when i do get to coasting there is a lot of noise coming from the wheel.
i did take this entire wheel apart internally. and greased everything up with no luck.
did i maybe put something in backwards? or is there something i did wrong.
i have tried to adjust the bolts and no luck. tried oiling it only a little smoother but still wants to pedal and the noise sounds like somethings rubbing.
any ideas what this may be?
my next solution for it is to test its aquability off the boat dock at my fishing hole
any info or ideas appreciated very much
i will upload the video i made to show the problem tomorrow
Sean

Sounds like clutch failure. Check out the drive surface of it, drive, and threads on it. If any roughness, replace.
But, better yet, unlace that KT, throw very far away, lace in a bendex!

i have considered throowing it far far away this dang rear wheel has given me nothing but grief
i like the Bendix idea might go with 2 speed kickback if i can find one that will fit the rim i got.
my lbs can build em a wheel with a 2 speed but its like 200 bucks.
for that price i will just pony up another couple hundred and by a good 29 er they start at 399 at the bike rack here in Omaha so that may be where i go i like the size but have determined the coaster brake is not a good setup for these oversize wheels that and wal mart bikes are never very reliable.
i will check the clutch and all the threads and see if that is the problem but it makes perfect sense as that was what i was suspecting as the culprit.
thanks mikeeebikey
Sean

well i tore into it
the wheel is roached
the outer hub shell has chunks missing from it.

this is a new one to me never had a hub shell break chubks like that.
the internals were literally stuck together as 1 piece

i also noticed this on the brake arm something these bozos at kent shoulda noticed it clearly states for 26 inch or 28 wheels

and then to make the fire burn even hotter the spring for the clutch was so built up with grime that i had to literally heat it to make the grease soft so i could remove it

so with that being said n done im taking mikeeebikeys advise and gonna relace another hub to this wheel.
anyone know what hubs are compatible with these wheels?
thanks and more updates soon
sean

As far as intended size, I know of no "29"-er specific hubs.
Find a good Sturmey Archer, Bendix, and last choice a shimano cb.
I honestly cannot testify to the operating of a sturmey cb. hub with 1 gear, I have sampled their 3 speed coasters. Fresh rebuilt they work awesome!
Bendix hubs are what shimano copied.
There are more, maybe Bicycle808 could help here! :)

:39:I may have something suitable. Number of spokes? Diameter of hole circle?
if i did it right on counting it has 48 spokees on each side.
i don't know the diameter but i will check that and see what size they are.
i do have a bendix coaster brake from a 50's bike but i do not know if it will work correctly or not
sran

As far as intended size, I know of no "29"-er specific hubs.
Find a good Sturmey Archer, Bendix, and last choice a shimano cb.
I honestly cannot testify to the operating of a sturmey cb. hub with 1 gear, I have sampled their 3 speed coasters. Fresh rebuilt they work awesome!
Bendix hubs are what shimano copied.
There are more, maybe Bicycle808 could help here! :)
i have a bendix coaster brake hub from a 50's Higgins i might try and mate that work
i do like a 3 speed idea i might try that
Sean

Whoa, a 48 spoke wheel? A bit overkill for a 10 speed size wheel!
Just get a 36 spoke wheel, that should hold up fine.

Hi, I'm late to the party. All I can say is "wow", re: the hubshell failure. I've heard of that happenin, but typically to older hubs.

Before I saw that the shell was toast, I was going to suggest swapping Shimano guts into the kt shell. KT supposedly makes the Shimano cb-e110 under contract for Shimano, and for a while, I'd assumed that they were just badge-engineering but, after living with examples of both hubs, I gotta tell you that there is a noticeable difference. While the Shimano cb-e110 is not anything special, it is worlds better than the typical KT HiStop. The good news: the dimensions between your KT and a new Shimano hub are similar enough where you could lace the Shimano into the existing wheel with the same spokes.

If you can get a Bendix in nice shape, though....truly, the older hubs were made of hardier stuff, and that'd probably be a nice move even if you end up needing new spokes.

Re: spoke count.... 36 ought to do ya fine.

Re: running a front brake only with a freewheeling rear hub: bad advice, especially if you cruise @ speeds over 10mph.

Re: 29er-specific hubs.... they do make multispeed mountainbike hubs that are designed for 29ers; basically, it's got beefed-up flanges, and that's good thing for 26" wheeledbikes, too. But for coaster hubs, there's no 29er version. Most of the 36h versions were designed, as the arm on the dearly departed KT up-thread states, for 26" or 28" wheeled bikes. Bigger wheels = more inertia= more strain on the braking system, but 28" is Euro-speak for 700c x 1.75" tires.... basically, 622x47mm in the real-world. Typical 29er tires are 700c x 2.2, which is 622x55m. An extra 8mm of rubber isn't gonna kill the hub, but let's remember that modern coasters are built to a thin-nickel, and are intended for children's bikes and/or JRA-type cruisers. They're cheap, which is good, but they will need a repack regularly, and they will fail regardless after a lot of hard miles. (No maintenance, and they'll fail after a small amount of hard miles.)

BITD, the coaster hub ruled the American streets, and Morrow, New Departure, Bendix, Musselman, and some import hubs were all vying for SS CB supremacy. They wanted to build a hub that worked well and lasted long, b/c that's what the c/b hub market demanded. Things have changed; "cheap" is the king, at least in the coaster-brake world. I think, if you put a lot of miles on your CB bike, you will want to either get a quality vintage hub in good shape and try to keep it nice, or you can get a get a dime-per-dozen Shimano hub, maintain it well: repack it every few months, and replace the guts with new when things get weird. It won't be as cool as dealing with the old hub, but if you like maintenance, it takes the guesswork out of it, which isn't always the case with out-of-production hubs. Being able to easily and affordably buy spares is a huge convenience.

well i made a decision
instead of rebuilding this thing i am gonna buy a huffy millennia
their 119 bucks brand new and there is more options for customizing them
plus the frame is more cruiser style and i like them better then the genesis frames.
i will prolly rebuild this one eventually but at the moment i just wanna throw it in the water and turn it into one of the many aqua bikes Ive lost over the years
will update when i get the millennia
Sean

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Huffy-Millennial-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike-Grey/27831874
this is my choice i know its a huffy and i will run into this problem eventually again bt i kinda like this style i can see it painted satin black with red wheels and my 32 inch apes on it.
anyone got any thoughts on this? good or bad im open to thoughts and ideas i just need to keep it cheap im a poor broke bike builder lol
Sean

yeah that's the one i am talking about
the link was for a grey one
i plan on respraying it in satin black and painting the wheels red myself.
sorry bout the link not being right
but the second link you posted is the one i am considering i just like how it looks
Sean

I don't think the link was your fault; i think it's a glitch or a virus o something. When i clicked it earlier, it went to a Kohl's ad for fake flowers. I was about to post a reply about it, but the proper wlamart link to the Millennia came up in your quoted price.... then I saw that other ppl were getting different links to other items...

Back