Woody Henderson {7-26. Bike is done! ...}

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Woody Henderson {5-24}

Geeze, if I were voting today............... great photography. 6 cross filter, or photoshop? Love the mirror.

jerrykr said:
Geeze, if I were voting today............... great photography. 6 cross filter, or photoshop? Love the mirror.

Here's my high dollar studio. :roll: Actually I was just looking around for something other than the workbench or driveway when I noticed my wife's sunroof! I admit it was a happy accident (with a little exposure compensation and a built in filter effect on the D90)..... :mrgreen:

DSC_0031.jpg

Chain=Gorgeous, Fork= innovative, wheels= beautiful. Awesome build is awesome...

Been busy....

......doing other things..... Spring has finally sprung at the shop, so I've been working on other's rides for the most part..... :wink:

I've also spent quite a few spare moments tracking down what must be the last '09 red Kawasaki klx250s in Colorado, my daughter and I are headed to Steamboat friday to pick it up. She just got a new truck so it will be some good break-in miles for her. :)

sunbeamred.jpg

Anyway, I have done some little stuff......

Made sure the drivetrain is going to work well and that the chainline is good........

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

I even remembered to fit the coaster brake arm strap BEFORE paint! (there's a first time for everything.... :roll: )

IMG_0321.jpg

A little dent repair....

IMG_0330.jpg

And a little woodworking, along with some trial staining......

IMG_0346JPG2.jpg

IMG_0349JPG2.jpg

Oh yeah, the saddle showed up.... :D

IMG_0339.jpg

Somehow I'm going to try and make grips out of this stuff...... :?

IMG_0342.jpg

This is never a very productive time for me and buildoffs- but at least I know things will work. I do need to puzzle over bars and grips, didn't like the Felt bars at all when mocked up.....Too much pollen and cottonwood to paint for a while. Mid- late July will be my time to kick it into gear! :D

Re: Woody Henderson {7-13}

Man, I gotta get my.....

DSC00927.jpg

.....in gear. :mrgreen:

Just been so darned busy this last month. Finally picked up the KLX in Steamboat and snuck in a ride in the Pawnee Grasslands.....

IMG_0365JPG2.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

Also went to Durango apartment/roommate shopping with my daughter for the upcoming school year, and of course it's still hoppin' at the shop.

Good thing I'm building a SIMPLE bike!

I realized I'm not going to learn to braze this month, so I decided to go with 'plan B'. Or should I say 'plan JB'......

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

This is how I plan on attaching the 'woody' panels to the frame. I didn't want any clamps around the frame tubes, so hopefully after some dremel cleanup work this will allow me to easily attach the panels with a just few chainring bolts for a clean look.

Stained the maple panels last night......

IMG_0437JPG2.jpg

Too rainy and humid for varnish tonight. :x

Finally tracked down some etching primer today at lunch, for some reason it was really hard to find this year. :?

Now it's off to ebay for a final decision on handlebars, I'm thinking moto drag bars at this point.....

I AM going to finish this bike. :wink:

Re: Woody Henderson {7-26. some assembly required...}

A couple beautiful mornings and I was able to get my rattle canning accomplished.....Used Dupli-Color stuff this time. I like it. Of course I have no idea what I'm doing...... :roll:

Saturday morning before work was a great temperature, no wind, and no cottonwood seed blowing around! On with the primer....

IMG_0450-1.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Monday morning was great as well, so on with the color! Is black a "color"?

IMG_0456JPG2.jpg

IMG_0457JPG2.jpg

Since I have zero patience I had to fit the panels and badge last night just to see how it all would look.....

IMG_0460JPG2.jpg

I'm no paint and body man, but I'm pretty pleased to have gone from this......

IMG_0435.jpg

to this. The color contrast between the black and maple was just what I had envisioned...... :wink:

IMG_0464JPG2.jpg

Now all I have to do is put it together. The steerer tube will need to be cut, but everything else should just go right back where it was a couple weeks ago..... :D

that black and maple really does look sweet! :mrgreen: the frame has some really nice lines to work with too. cant wait to see it finished! :D

Bendix said:
Monday morning was great as well, so on with the color! Is black a "color"?

Technically black is a shade. Also, that shade is perfect and went on great!

Noticed you're running a Bendix hub.

yoothgeye said:
Bendix said:
Noticed you're running a Bendix hub.

hopefully i'm not the only one in the running for my own award.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well. that went smoothly! :D

Put it together in just over an hour- dawdling along swatting mosquitos and enjoying a couple Sessions.....

I figured this was my last chance for a MAJOR screwup......

IMG_0468.jpg

I never did brainstorm a decent set of wood grips, but never mind- these Brooks grips match the saddle and look better anyway!

IMG_0483.jpg

Until I get proper photos this 'teaser' shows the drag bars but gives away nothing of the end result...... :wink:

IMG_0475.jpg

You should hear it whisper down the road. It really is a simple bike- but if you appreciate a clean, professional build, I think you'll like it. See ya on the "Finished Bikes" thread............. :D

I'm pretty much a fan of everything you build....those grips are awesome. :D

Bendix said:
hopefully i'm not the only one in the running for my own award.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had my Shimano brake arm off and about to put a Bendix arm on, but I thought that would be cheating, plus it's an '86 arm, doesn't look cool like the older ones.

But... if I still bolt it onto the bike somewhere... am I in the running? :D

Very cool :D

Back